ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a new Anti-Virus and need you guys to help!

(1/5) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
I had McAffee pre-installed on the new laptops and now they have run out of their free trial...so I have uninstalled them because I don't have the funds to pay for it...so I am looking for a good free alternative...I used to swear by AVG but not sure if it is still worth it!

So...What do you guys think?  I currently have no AV installed, but do have MalwareBytes installed on both laptops and am using Windows Firewall for both in the meantime (As well as a router level firewall).

Ath:
AVG, Avast or Avira should do fine. Have only used Avast on a regular basis but I've read good reviews of all three.

Avira used to have auto-update issues when behind a proxy (like I am connected most of the time), but haven't re-tested that lately.
AVG has had some security issues (with their forum, IIRC) in the recent years, that's why I didn't bother to switch, but they are my next candidate :)
Avast I've seen some app-update issues in their latest release that I didn't get around to investigate thoroughly yet.

KynloStephen66515:
Never used Avira, so will take a looksie at that!  Didn't know about the AVG security issue o.O - Although, I spent pretty much July 2013 to July 2014 offline so may have missed it.

Shades:
BitDefender has a decent AV-solution if you aren't the only one strapped for resources...

IainB:
New laptops? If they are using the Win8 or 8.1 OS, then Windows Defender includes Firewall and MS Security Essentials (already fully integrated and at no extra charge). You just need to enable it after expunging McAffee.
See also: Experiences of using Win8-64, updating to Win8.1, then upgrading to Win8.1 PRO.

Otherwise, if Win7, then download MS Security Essentials by itself from MS website, for $FREE. It's sort of a no-brainer really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version