ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (64/65) > >>

Vurbal:
That Stormy Weather rendition, while I love the vocals, so missed that, is definitely excellent from an instrumental standpoint.  It brought to memory one of my regrets.  My father was very big into Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and many more performers of that era.  And he was really into musicals- Gershwin, Rodgers and Hammerstein, etc.  In fact, I remember my proudest moment was giving him the complete selection of Rodgers and Hammerstein on DVD when they first came out.  A pretty penny, but the look on his face...

Now that he's gone, and I've started to appreciate that music, I kick myself, and it makes me sad.  I never took the time to cross to his side of the street until it was too late, and I find myself wondering what he thought/would think about certain renditions, or composers, or dancers that I was never interested enough to ask him about.

sigh
-wraith808 (July 30, 2016, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
That sounds so much like my dad, except add in old country music, or as he called it, having grown up in the Alleghany Mountains, hillbilly music.

Sharing that music with me is no small part of what made us so close, although being his first son certainly had something to do with it. I was 16 when he died, and that's one of the few things I had left to hang on to. I'm not sure that helps, but maybe it would have, had he lived longer. My big regret is how our relationship was in the last year or 2 he was alive. It was probably better than most teenagers have with their parents, but it still hurts to think about how I left things with him.

wraith808:
It was probably better than most teenagers have with their parents, but it still hurts to think about how I left things with him.
-Vurbal (July 31, 2016, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Regrets.  Just one of the things we don't understand when we're young, and have too much understanding of as we get older.

Vurbal:
Hmmm... I typed this out the other day, and apparently forgot to hit send. Damn ADD. Let's give it another try.

A week ago I went to an open jam and a friend of mine I hadn't seen in several years was sitting in on drums. He's not around town too much because he does a lot of touring with various artists. I was asking him about a couple of his recent gigs - playing in Paul Rodgers' touring band, followed by a Bad Company tour where he worked as Simon Kirke's drum tech. It turns out he's getting ready to go down to Florida to work with Paul's son Steve.

That's cool, but this was the really cool bit for me. One day he asked Simon if he still had the drum kit he played with Free at the Isle of Wight, and Simon said Paul had it, last he knew. The next time he saw Paul, he asked him about the kit, and Paul said he thought it was in his basement. At this point he's getting excited, so he calls Steve in Florida (at Paul's house) and asks him to check for a gold drum kit in the basement. Sure enough, it's sitting down there, looking like it hasn't been played since the Free days. It even still has the kick drum head with 'Free' hand painted on it.

Simon and Paul don't really care much about it. To them it's just some old drums, but my friend is planning to get it cleaned up while he's in Florida, so it can be preserved, and maybe put on display somewhere further down the road.

He couldn't show me the pictures of the kit, since he didn't have his phone with him, but with any luck he (and his phone) will show up at the jam tonight.

IainB:
I have always been interested in musical instruments, including those from other cultures and ages.
I don't know whether people reading this will have seen/heard this rock music played by one Luna Lee on the 6th century Korean Kayagum stringed instrument, but I hadn't.
See the openculture.com blog post:
Three Pink Floyd Songs Played on the Traditional Korean Gayageum: “Comfortably Numb,” “Another Brick in the Wall” & “Great Gig in the Sky'

Check out especially: Pink Floyd- Another Brick In The Wall Gayageum ver. by Luna

Having tried to play a sitar, I was always impressed with how well the Beatles incorporated and fitted the sitar neatly into some of their instrumental music. I gather that Ravi Shankar had introduced them to the sitar, but their use of it generally retained the style and tradition of the sitar instrument in its Indian music context, whereas the modified Korean Kayagum, as played by Luna Lee, is a completely transformed instrument. It seems to have been imaginatively and almost violently pushed into the era and culturally foreign context of Western rock music. However, I think it works surprisingly and exceeding well, and sounds stunning in the "Wall" rendition (one of my favourite pieces of music).

Anyway, I think I might prefer it to K-Pop - which my half-Asian daughter has recently become a fan of and has introduced me to, and which I am listening to and entertained by, though I can't help feeling that it seems to be formulaic MTV stuff, too artificially Japanesey-cute, lacking in originality and seemingly borrowing variously from and blending the Spice Girls, Nikki Minage, Pussycat Dolls, Sugababes and others. Not much different to, but probably harmonically nicer-sounding than the majority of the current crop of pop music, I suppose.

wraith808:
"Thread Arise!" commands the necromancer.  ;D

Just read a troubling ruling that only one appeals judge seemed to know anything about.

Appeals Court Says It's Okay To Copyright An Entire Style Of Music

In the dissenting opinion, Judge Jacqueline Nguyen wrote the following:

The majority allows the Gayes to accomplish what no one has before: copyright a musical style. “Blurred Lines” and “Got to Give It Up” are not objectively similar. They differ in melody, harmony, and rhythm. Yet by refusing to compare the two works, the majority establishes a dangerous precedent that strikes a devastating blow to future musicians and composers everywhere.

--- End quote ---

More at the link, but I can't help but nod as she continues.  A sad, sad day.

Adding a bit about how the decision has affected musicians:

Now though, music experts have told the Victoria Derbyshire programme that artists are being advised not to mention publicly who has inspired them. This is because of a high-profile copyright infringement case in which US jurors ruled that Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams, on their song Blurred Lines, had copied Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up.

According to forensic musicologist Peter Oxendale "everyone's concerned that inspiration can [now be interpreted as] a catalyst for infringement.

"All of these companies are worried that if a track is referenced on another at all, there may be a claim being brought," he explains.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version