ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (61/65) > >>

wraith808:
Interesting thing from the comments on an article that led me to two great artists that I'd not even heard about.

Well, as others have pointed out (and I've experienced this as a bit of a creative myself--I'm a photographer) you would like to make enough off your skills, vision and effort that you can continue to afford to do what you love, and be able to focus on it instead of having to take other work just to pay the bills.

Speaking to music, the world has been sadly deprived of two fantastically talented artists, Mark Linkous and Vic Chesnutt, both of who killed themselves and in both cases, friends have said, financial struggles contributed to their depression and may have led to some extent to their deaths. Both had physical problems that likely made touring somewhat onerous, and they did not seem emotionally equipped for the rigours of life on the road. It's a shame that they couldn't make enough off their recorded output--even though they were never huge sellers, both had a fanatically loyal fanbase and vast critical acclaim--to sustain them financially.

--- End quote ---

40hz:
Regardless of how talented you may be, music is still a group effort more often than not. And while it's good to stand on your aesthetic sensibilities, "vision," and your principles, it's still no excuse for being utterly insensitive to other creatives, or difficult to work with.

While I hesitate to pass judgement on any musician I haven't personally worked with (except for Jeff Beck! I have no qualms about dissing Jeff Beck!!!  >:( ) based on most of what I've seen and read about the man over the course of his career (including his own words from several interviews), I can't help but conclude he was a royal horse's ass - and a royal pain in the ass to work with at even the best of times. And while talented and obviously an accomplished musician, I don't see anything in his career that justifies elevating him to the status of a minor deity that the popular press seems so intent on making him. He was a very good pop musician. And an accomplished stage performer. And that's about all he was. Shouldn't that be enough?

wraith808:
Regardless of how talented you may be, music is still a group effort more often than not. And while it's good to stand on your aesthetic sensibilities, "vision," and your principles, it's still no excuse for being utterly insensitive to other creatives, or difficult to work with.

While I hesitate to pass judgement on any musician I haven't personally worked with (except for Jeff Beck! I have no qualms about dissing Jeff Beck!!!  >:( ) based on most of what I've seen and read about the man over the course of his career (including his own words from several interviews), I can't help but conclude he was a royal horse's ass - and a royal pain in the ass to work with at even the best of times. And while talented and obviously an accomplished musician, I don't see anything in his career that justifies elevating him to the status of a minor deity that the popular press seems so intent on making him. He was a very good pop musician. And an accomplished stage performer. And that's about all he was. Shouldn't that be enough?
-40hz (April 25, 2016, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think everyone has their days that they are hard to get along with.  Especially when you are performing at a high level.  But I'd personally put him at very much more than a very good pop musician and an accomplished stage performer.  And I wouldn't say that assessment was him all the time- especially looking at the sum of people that knew him  And I think he affected music and lot beside on the same level that Bowie did.

But, everyone will have their own perceptions of what a person leaves when they depart this existence.  I think that's what legacy is about.  And along those lines, I was talking more about his affect on the music industry and the reasons behind his tight control of his music.

40hz:
...I think he affected music and lot beside on the same level that Bowie did.
-wraith808 (April 25, 2016, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd have to disagree on granting him that much. But to your earlier point, different people will have different perceptions of him. I see him more as a cause célèbre in the music world rather than a genuine bellwhether. But that's me. And I'm just a bassplayer - so what do I know?  ;) ;D

Edvard:
And I'm just a bassplayer - so what do I know?  
-40hz (April 25, 2016, 09:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://kekbfm.com/how-many-bass-players-does-it-take-to-change-a-light-bulb/
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version