ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (59/65) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I didn't really mean anything by my comment about 50 being the new 35. I guess I was just surprised at 57 being considered "older" because to me it doesn't seem to fit my idea of an "older" person. Time for me to adjust my perspective.-Deozaan (April 21, 2016, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh bullshit...there is nothing wrong with your perspective. 57 is older than 35 true...but it isn't older like people think of their grandparents being "older".

...Even if I am a grandfather at 51, that's different.. :D

wraith808:
I didn't really mean anything by my comment about 50 being the new 35. I guess I was just surprised at 57 being considered "older" because to me it doesn't seem to fit my idea of an "older" person. Time for me to adjust my perspective.-Deozaan (April 21, 2016, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh bullshit...there is nothing wrong with your perspective. 57 is older than 35 true...but it isn't older like people think of their grandparents being "older".

-Stoic Joker (April 22, 2016, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Once you get into the older middle age, you have to start thinking about it not as middle aged, but as older for certain medical things.  I wish I'd thought about it as such, and I'm not yet to the half-century mark.  It was a lot harder for me to get over a full fledged blowout of the flu last year, so I make sure I get the vaccine.  I got shingles (though I'd asked my stupid doctor about the vaccine a little before, and she said they don't give it to people my age), and now have post-herpetic neuralgia chronically because of it... when I could have just paid the money for the vaccine.  My brother in law (50-something) lost a good part of his vision because of it. 

It's that "I'm not old syndrome" that kills a lot of people younger than they need to be dead.  Especially in regards to going to the doctor regularly.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

-Stoic Joker (April 22, 2016, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Once you get into the older upper middle age, you have to start thinking about it not as middle aged, but as older for certain medical things.-wraith808 (April 22, 2016, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

ftfy :D

I wish I'd thought about it as such, and I'm not yet to the half-century mark.-wraith808 (April 22, 2016, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really??? I thought you were a bit older than I am.

It was a lot harder for me to get over a full fledged blowout of the flu last year, so I make sure I get the vaccine.-wraith808 (April 22, 2016, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I got vaccinated once back when I was 5 - Didn't like it much - haven't gone back.. ;)

Honestly I think genetics factors in to things much more than half the vaccines they push on people do. If you have a good immune system, you're most likely just fine. Despite just having had one, I seldom get colds and have never had the flu. I've also never had chickenpox, measles, or mumps ... My sister did. But not me.

And yes, I know I'm an odd case that shouldn't be used as advice for/by anyone, but...

It's that "I'm not old syndrome" that kills a lot of people younger than they need to be dead.  Especially in regards to going to the doctor regularly.-wraith808 (April 22, 2016, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm old, but I'm not old ... and I've no interest in getting stuck on a bunch of pills by some quack that is "Practicing" medicine because they think I should be on something...for some reason...that's probably insurance billing related.

wraith808:
I'm old, but I'm not old ... and I've no interest in getting stuck on a bunch of pills by some quack that is "Practicing" medicine because they think I should be on something...for some reason...that's probably insurance billing related.
-Stoic Joker (April 22, 2016, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I thought that way too.  But seeing the progression of deaths in the 40s made me rethink that, though I do scrutinize what they tell me.

40hz:
Flu kills older people, so it makes sense.-wraith808 (April 21, 2016, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is 57 considered "older" these days? I thought 50 was the new 35. Or all the marketing departments just lying in an attempt to appeal to the baby boomer generation?
-Deozaan (April 21, 2016, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

"Age" is far more a state of mind than it is a state of grace. And life threatening medical issues can crop up at any age. Being young doesn't make you immune to it. Nor does being older guarantee you're going to become just another statistic. Genes, luck of the draw, quality of care received, degree of health education, speed of diagnosis, and the amount of responsibility you take for your own health all factor into the equation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version