ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (58/65) > >>

wraith808:
A bad year for music.  First Bowie, and now Prince.  Two innovators in music in the same year.   :(
-wraith808 (April 21, 2016, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

wow, that was a surprise  :(

EDIT// realised that might have sounded a bit flippant. I really was stunned by that one, I guess because of his age, and not having heard of any illness etc.
-tomos (April 21, 2016, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

He apparently had shown signs- but without a cause of death, they aren't really conclusive.

On April 14th, he was supposed to do a concert in Atlanta.  Canceled it, but then did a little set to make up for it.  It was low key for him.  Flew home, and made an emergency stop in Chicago at the hospital.  It was apparently the flu, from his publicist.  Headed home, and was recovering.  The police found him in the elevator in his residence, so people are presuming it was complications from that.  Flu kills older people, so it makes sense.  But still sad.

Deozaan:
Flu kills older people, so it makes sense.-wraith808 (April 21, 2016, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is 57 considered "older" these days? I thought 50 was the new 35. Or all the marketing departments just lying in an attempt to appeal to the baby boomer generation?

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

Is 57 considered "older" these days? I thought 50 was the new 35. Or all the marketing departments just lying in an attempt to appeal to the baby boomer generation?
-Deozaan (April 21, 2016, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Biology and Physiology don't subscribe to anything but science.

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

-Deozaan (April 21, 2016, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Biology and Physiology don't subscribe to anything but science.
-wraith808 (April 21, 2016, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Science has made it so that people can live longer, healthier lives. So, considering the improvements in science and medicine, is 57 still considered "older" these days?

Patrick Stewart doesn't seem too old at 75. Christopher Lee, while definitely "older" was pretty active and accomplished up until he died last year at 93.

Of course, those may be outliers. But my point is that years are just numbers. There's nothing, biologically speaking, that says no matter our circumstances, health, diet, etc., that we are "old" at a certain number of years. The numbers seem to be trending higher (meaning people are still looking "young" and being healthy at increasing years). And while these things tend to vary wildly, most people I know in their 50s don't seem that old to me. But there are a lot of possible explanations for that.

And since "older" is a relative term which isn't well defined, you and I may have different ideas what it means to be an "older" person. Really that's probably the issue here. I didn't really mean anything by my comment about 50 being the new 35. I guess I was just surprised at 57 being considered "older" because to me it doesn't seem to fit my idea of an "older" person. Time for me to adjust my perspective. :)

wraith808:
Science has made it so that people can live longer, healthier lives. So, considering the improvements in science and medicine, is 57 still considered "older" these days?
-Deozaan (April 21, 2016, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

In terms of the Flu?  Yes.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/65over.htm

They say 65, but I've seen for quite a few that it starts getting bad in the late 50s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version