ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (54/65) > >>

Edvard:
For guitar, anything that gets you in the ballpark should be just fine.  Guitar is NOT a well-tempered clavier, and attempts to 'fix' it have resulted in some of the ugliest things you'd ever lay fingers on.  The weird thing is, I usually have a pretty good ear when it comes to detecting things out of tune, but my cheap little black box tuner does a better job most days; Tune string-to-string by ear and I have an awesome Gmaj, but a slightly flat Dsus, tune by blickenlichts and I have everything from Emaj to C7 down cold (and yes, I adjust intonation every string change). 

TL;DR: If you can swing the price for one you like, go for it.

wraith808:
Didn't know if anyone was looking for some good, reasonably priced, effects pedals.

An assortment of valeton pedals are on massdrop.  3 days left on the drop.

40hz:

Now I'm married with a steady job, so I no longer have the time nor inclination to blast some chords on the road with some long-haired metal freaks, but I still play a bit here and there, and I still lust after that Ovation.  Eastman Guitars put out their loving tribute to the Breadwinner in 2009, and my heart leapt at the possibilities. However, at $800+ it was still out of my reach, and I my big fingers wanted a Fender-scale neck anyway, so... I went to work.  A few restless nights with a CAD program and some photos and tracings of the gem in question, and I finally have my dream in reach.  It may have to be built with pine or plywood, but so be it.
Ladies and Gents, in humble tribute to the Ovation Breadwinner, but adapted for a longer neck scale, I give to you...

The Loaf Champion:

In the zip, I have included DXF and DWG files, openable by any capable CAD program, and a Readme file explaining what's going on with the layers.  I use QCad, so they will definitely work in that, and have used DoubleCAD 5 successfully in the past.
For those who are experienced builders, please advise where I might have gone wrong on this, and for those so inclined to actually build the thing before I do, I require a surcharge payable in build pictures.  :P
-Edvard (March 26, 2016, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now that is a labor of love if I ever saw one!

One suggestion. Do it as a template first. By that I mean do it to scale on a 1/2" piece of MDF before you commit to cutting expensive woods. Sometimes something that looks really good on a blueprint or drawn on paper doesn't map out quite as nicely in the real world. Having that template also lets you get really precise cuts for the body etc, because you're going to only rough cut with a saw. The final shaping is going to get done with a router. And having an accurate router guide is going to be worth its weight in gold when you reach that point in your build and you're cutting a $25 mahogany or swamp ash body blank. It's also great for pickup routes and getting the tuner and bridge positioning exactly right.

(Note: I sent you a PM)

Vurbal:
So I have a question that I've not really found a reliable answer to.

First, I was using a Korg GA-40 for a tuner.

I moved on from that to a TMR50BK, mostly for the dual use of recording and a metronome.

As of late, I've switched to a Snark SN-5 after seeing it in use in one of my local shops.

I just saw a GoGo Pedal Tuner on massdrop.  The lowest drop price is 39.99, and I'm thinking about joining.

Is there any real discernible functional difference between different tuners that any of you have noticed?  The Snark is convenient, and doesn't actually plug in, but I don't hear any difference between that and a plug-in tuner.  I can hear the difference on lower end tuners for sure.  But once you get past a certain price point, it doesn't seem that the difference is anything but form.

Thoughts?
-wraith808 (March 26, 2016, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Personally, I wouldn't want to be without a pedal tuner. At the very least I'd want something I can plug into. Fortunately, a friend (with more money than sense) gave me a Pitchblack+ he decided he didn't like, but I don't recommend that for you, or most people in fact. I'm damn happy to have it, but I certainly wouldn't pay $150 for it.

You want something that's accurate to +/-1 cent, which the more recent models of clip-ons from Snark and TC also are, if I'm not mistaken. The Monoprice knockoff of the regular Pitchblack is supposed to be quite nice, and only costs $20. Some people claim it's the actual Pitchblack, which it might be, but I've never seen any proof of that. In any case it's supposed to be an excellent pedal.

The Pitchblack+ is accurate to 0.1 cents, which mostly just makes it suitable for setting intonation. In my case, it also has a couple additional benefits. Unlike most people, my perception is a lot more accurate than +/-1 cent, and I have perfect pitch. Even in a mix, extremely small intonation issues can bug me.

Vurbal:
So I've been playing my re-engineered bass for almost a week and it's like a whole new instrument. I ended up turning the preamp gain almost all the way up - to about 5db. Initially that was just to compensate for output level differences when switching from mid focused (bass/treble cut technically) to mid cut tones. As it turns out, it also makes fine tuning the amount of dirt I'm getting from the overdrive pedal.

The difference with the buffer is so significant that my wife, who does not at all have the ear of a musician, immediately noticed it sounded clearer - before I actually got a good tone dialed in BTW. At rehearsal last week, it cut through the mix at a significantly lower volume. Just as importantly, the volume and tone from one string/note to the next is relatively balanced for the first time ever.

On the good side, struggling to tame those problems for nearly a year has done wonders for my technique. Even better, the guys I've been regularly playing with for the last few months, are actually sounding like a real band. If that doesn't work out, now I've got everything I need to look elsewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version