ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (53/65) > >>

Vurbal:
Last night a friend helped me install a preamp (Bartolini AGB 918-2) in my bass. By helped, of course, I mean I double checked which wires he was rerouting where (he's always worked on passive guitars), and set up my amp to test it out when he was done.

It sounds amazing now! Since I no longer have to roll off the bass and mids nearly all the way, while boosting the treble to about 3/4, the noise floor has dropped to near nothing. This morning I tweaked the gain trimpot on the preamp. Now I can keep the bass volume at about 80% running through my Joyo American Sound, and a little extra for bypassing it without having to adjust at the amp.

Besides the pedal, which does an amazing job of copping a Fender amp feel, I recently bought an Ampeg 210 (AV) cabinet, and I'm searching for his twin brother. Together they'll make a fantastic stage rig. For the time being, it's great by itself at surprising volumes - perfect at practice and rehearsal volume. Actually, I imagine it would carry a small bar just fine.

superboyac:
Bach to Moog’
-40hz (March 04, 2016, 12:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
totally fascinating.  thanks!!

40hz:
Last night a friend helped me install a preamp (Bartolini AGB 918-2) in my bass. By helped, of course, I mean I double checked which wires he was rerouting where (he's always worked on passive guitars), and set up my amp to test it out when he was done.

It sounds amazing now! Since I no longer have to roll off the bass and mids nearly all the way, while boosting the treble to about 3/4, the noise floor has dropped to near nothing. This morning I tweaked the gain trimpot on the preamp. Now I can keep the bass volume at about 80% running through my Joyo American Sound, and a little extra for bypassing it without having to adjust at the amp.

Besides the pedal, which does an amazing job of copping a Fender amp feel, I recently bought an Ampeg 210 (AV) cabinet, and I'm searching for his twin brother. Together they'll make a fantastic stage rig. For the time being, it's great by itself at surprising volumes - perfect at practice and rehearsal volume. Actually, I imagine it would carry a small bar just fine.
-Vurbal (March 25, 2016, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a nice kit! Play it well.

I recently added an Iron Ether Nimbus Bass Reverb pedal to my collection. Amazing little boutique box that finally makes reverb workable for bass without resorting to a $500+ Eventide H9 or a $480 Strymon Big Sky pedal. Great for adding a hint of air and motion (i.e. ambience) to your mix. It also has more extreme settings if that's your thing.

Edvard:
OK, I dropped this on the guys at GuitarNutz, and got a little (as in mostly one guy) feedback, but today I turn to my good friends here... 
A little history first:  Ever since I saw this ad in a 1977 issue of Guitar Player(?) magazine, I've lusted for one of these babies -
It was the middle of the 80's and I wanted a guitar that was different from the gold standard Strats, Pauls, and SG's, but not like the trendy Floyd-Rose-and-pointy-headstock 'superstrat' things being pumped out by the likes of Kramer, Jackson, Ibanez, etc., nor like the pointy monstrosities presented by B.C. Rich, Dean and Gibson.  This organic-but-awesome product of Ovation fit my bill perfectly, and I scoured the pawnshops and instrument stores anywhere I happened to be.  In the early 90's, a Breadwinner could be found for $450 - 600 in great condition, but they were on the rare side, and always showed up when I was out of money.  :(
They began to get more popular when Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine was seen playing them, and so somewhere around the mid-2000s the price started creeping even further out of my budget, and now can be had in the low $1000s on eBay.  :o

Now I'm married with a steady job, so I no longer have the time nor inclination to blast some chords on the road with some long-haired metal freaks, but I still play a bit here and there, and I still lust after that Ovation.  Eastman Guitars put out their loving tribute to the Breadwinner in 2009, and my heart leapt at the possibilities. However, at $800+ it was still out of my reach, and I my big fingers wanted a Fender-scale neck anyway, so... I went to work.  A few restless nights with a CAD program and some photos and tracings of the gem in question, and I finally have my dream in reach.  It may have to be built with pine or plywood, but so be it.
Ladies and Gents, in humble tribute to the Ovation Breadwinner, but adapted for a longer neck scale, I give to you...

The Loaf Champion:

In the zip, I have included DXF and DWG files, openable by any capable CAD program, and a Readme file explaining what's going on with the layers.  I use QCad, so they will definitely work in that, and have used DoubleCAD 5 successfully in the past.
For those who are experienced builders, please advise where I might have gone wrong on this, and for those so inclined to actually build the thing before I do, I require a surcharge payable in build pictures.  :P

wraith808:
So I have a question that I've not really found a reliable answer to.

First, I was using a Korg GA-40 for a tuner.

I moved on from that to a TMR50BK, mostly for the dual use of recording and a metronome.

As of late, I've switched to a Snark SN-5 after seeing it in use in one of my local shops.

I just saw a GoGo Pedal Tuner on massdrop.  The lowest drop price is 39.99, and I'm thinking about joining.

Is there any real discernible functional difference between different tuners that any of you have noticed?  The Snark is convenient, and doesn't actually plug in, but I don't hear any difference between that and a plug-in tuner.  I can hear the difference on lower end tuners for sure.  But once you get past a certain price point, it doesn't seem that the difference is anything but form.

Thoughts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version