ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (16/65) > >>

MilesAhead:
(Does any of the above even make sense, I wonder? ;D )
-40hz (December 03, 2014, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Makes sense to me.  I don't think a Cassandra Wilson comes along every other week.  On the other hand those lip syncers who take singing lessons after they get the recording contract are a special category of talent that Howard Stern would refer to as "worth bangin'."  ;)

wraith808:
If they're there to begin with. That is something, unlike a musical instrument, that can't be bought. Some vocal abilities can't even be developed. It's there or it's not. And no amount of hard work or sincere effort will get it for you.
-40hz (December 03, 2014, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the same argument could be said for a musical instrument.  Or coding.  Or any other of a myriad of things.  Let's take coding.  You can teach coding- there's schools all over the map and all of the internet.  Getting a computer is of course trivial- especially if you're reading this on one :)

But having been a consultant for several years, I can say that I've seen competent coders- and then I've seen those that are transcendent.  And what makes that difference?  A mindset, certain capabilities for seeing the solution through the problem while having the ability not to fall in love with the solution- but to fall in love with the problem.  Not sure if I'm making sense... but I think in most things that require a creative spark, there's something about that spark that cannot be taught.

40hz:
Not sure if I'm making sense...
-wraith808 (December 03, 2014, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes feels that way when it comes to discussing something related to music. ;D :Thmbsup:

Funny how what's so clear in the head falls apart when you try to put it into words when it comes to music. A hundred things really need to be said simultaneously. And there's very little that doesn't need to be qualified and re-qualified. And half the time, the exact opposite is equally true.

That's what you get for "dancing about architecture" I guess. ;) 8)

FWIW my guitarist GF tends to start quietly singing this song any time I start getting too analytical or esoteric. (Think she's trying to tell me something?  :huh:)

superboyac:
Not sure if I'm making sense...
-wraith808 (December 03, 2014, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes feels that way when it comes to discussing something related to music. ;D :Thmbsup:

Funny how what's so clear in the head falls apart when you try to put it into words when it comes to music. A hundred things really need to be said simultaneously. And there's very little that doesn't need to be qualified and re-qualified. And half the time, the exact opposite is equally true.

That's what you get for "dancing about architecture" I guess. ;) 8)

FWIW my guitarist GF tends to start quietly singing this song any time I start getting too analytical or esoteric. (Think she's trying to tell me something?  :huh:)
-40hz (December 04, 2014, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Great version!  Who is Maria Muldaur??

theGleep:
@40hz, @tjbray: It's only taken forever, but here are the pictures you asked for :)

Back: Do we have any musical people on DC?
Front: Do we have any musical people on DC?

@tjbray - I'm still hoping to help you with that app!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version