ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (15/65) > >>

40hz:
If you you have a vocalist anywhere near the ability of Ann Wilson in your band, she will always be your primary focus,  and don't ever forget how lucky you are to have her.
-Vurbal (December 03, 2014, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree 100%

To be a good guitarist takes some talent, some education, and a devotion to mastering some techniques.

Pure unvarnished vocal talent, however, is a gift from the gods. Be respectful. 8)

wraith808:
If you you have a vocalist anywhere near the ability of Ann Wilson in your band, she will always be your primary focus,  and don't ever forget how lucky you are to have her.
-Vurbal (December 03, 2014, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree 100%

To be a good guitarist takes some talent, some education, and a devotion to mastering some techniques.

Pure unvarnished vocal talent, however, is a gift from the gods. Be respectful. 8)
-40hz (December 03, 2014, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

As a vocalist, I'd actually disagree.  People think it's about innate vocal talent... but I'd go the route that it's a combination of qualities that make those timeless vocalists.  Many of these qualities can't be taught... but they can be developed.  And many of them are not the classical technicalities - some vocalists are actually known for their peccadilloes.

From Johnny Cash to Leonard Cohen- there are examples all over the place.  And how many times have you heard better singers take on Hallelujah... but fall short of Cohen?

Though I most emphatically agree with you about Ann Wilson.  I saw her in one performance at an awards ceremony, and initially, her sister had all of the focus, and why not?  She was dressed down in all black with a deep brimmed hat that hid her face.  But when they started performing, it was like a star had descended to light her up.  And this in her 60s?  When it's only by nostalgia that I can listen to her contemporary Stevie Nicks at this point.  I don't know what she did to preserve her voice, but it seems in all honesty more powerful now.

Vurbal:
Just for clarity's sake, I don't think most vocalists are all that special, in fact I have a better voice and more skill than most. Ann Wilson is in an entirely different league. She could just as easily been the world's greatest operatic soprano. Even beyond her voice, her skill is second to none, but that voice by itself would put her almost in a class of her own.

wraith808:
Just for clarity's sake, I don't think most vocalists are all that special, in fact I have a better voice and more skill than most. Ann Wilson is in an entirely different league. She could just as easily been the world's greatest operatic soprano. Even beyond her voice, her skill is second to none, but that voice by itself would put her almost in a class of her own.
-Vurbal (December 03, 2014, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd totally agree... on both points.  And I think the vocal competition shows put the truth to that.

40hz:
but they can be developed.
-wraith808 (December 03, 2014, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

If they're there to begin with. That is something, unlike a musical instrument, that can't be bought. Some vocal abilities can't even be developed. It's there or it's not. And no amount of hard work or sincere effort will get it for you.

I sing too. I'm not bad. Three years with a university chorale that ran the gamut from Gregorian chant to Cole Porter taught me a lot about performance and various vocal technique. It made me a vastly better singer than I was before. But I would never consider myself a vocalist first and foremost.

I suspect (no proof to offer on this btw) that probably something like 70% of all people could be taught to sing adequately, with a higher percentage of them being women rather than men. But that's not the same thing as considering them 'singers', any more than being able to accompany yourself on a guitar in a workmanlike manner automatically earns you the title of 'guitarist.'

There's that difference between talent and skill; and craft and art. Difficult, if not impossible, to define. But oh so obvious to almost anyone when they encounter it.

That's what I mean by a gift. Superb singers are gifted rather than merely talented.

(Does any of the above even make sense, I wonder? ;D )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version