ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (14/65) > >>

40hz:
^I met Dr. Hook ages ago when they were at the top of their game. Checked into the hotel I worked at the night I was on the front desk. Nicest bunch of guys I ever met. Friendly, funny, articulate, and polite. One thing came across big time was how much they were enjoying what they were doing. A few people in the lobby recognized them and came up. The Hook crew were every bit as pleasant (and patient) with them as you could possibly hope for. Signed some autographs. Even passed out some free tickets for the next night's show.

During their stay I got to talk with them a bit. I complimented them on their music. Ray Sawyer immediately jumped in and said a big factor in their success was that the band had never been afraid to work with and perform music written by outside songwriters like Shel Silverstein. He said a lot of groups make the mistake of insisting on doing everything by themselves. I found that really interesting, and surprisingly humble.

I think this song of theirs touches on SB's earlier question:

lyrics hereDR. HOOK LYRICS
"Everybody's Makin' It Big But Me"

Elvis he's a hero he's a superstar
And I hear that Paul McCartney drives a Rolls Royce car
And Dylan sings for millions
And I just sing for free
Oh everybody's makin' it big but me

Oh, everybody's makin' it big but me
Everybody's makin' it big but me

Neil Diamond sings for diamonds
And here's ole rhinestone me

Oh everybody's makin' it big but me

Well I hear that Alice Cooper's got a foxy chick
To wipe off his snake, and keep him rich
And Elton John's got two fine ladies
And Doctor John's got three
And I'm still seein' them same old sleezoes, that I used to see

Yeah everybody's makin' it big but me

I've got charisma
And personality

Oh how come everybody's makin' it big but me?

(What's wrong with that?)
(I don't see nothing wrong with it Ray)

Well I paint my face with glitter
Just like Bowie does
And I wear the same mascara
That Mick Jagger does
And I even put some lipstick on
But that just hurt my dad and mom

And everybody's makin' it big but me

Yeah everybody's makin' it big but me

They got groupies for their bands
And all I got is my right hand
And everybody's makin' it big but me

Everybody's makin' it, makin' it, makin' it
Everybody's makin' it big......ME!
--- End quote ---

Like I said. Great bunch of guys.

40hz:
Honestly, that wasn't even the biggest problem in his band. His guitarist was a wannabe late 80s hair metal god with as bad a case of LGD (lead guitarist's disease) as I've ever seen.
-Vurbal (December 03, 2014, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1! :Thmbsup: Right up there with Roger Fisher in Heart's original lineup.

superboyac:
During their stay I got to talk with them a bit. I complimented them on their music. Ray Sawyer immediately jumped in and said a big factor in their success was that the band had never been afraid to work with and perform music written by outside songwriters like Shel Silverstein. He said a lot of groups make the mistake of insisting on doing everything by themselves. I found that really interesting, and surprisingly humble.
-40hz (December 03, 2014, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's a lesson here somewhere...

Fun group!

40hz:
@40Hz:  I swore off Fender amps since the last one I tried.  Can't remember what it was, but it was loud as hell at less than 100 watts and rang like a gong...  Just like my Gramp's '53 Deluxe (which I still have and give periodic TLC :Thmbsup:). -Edvard (December 02, 2014, 02:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seriously? I wonder which one. My GF owned several. She currently possesses a late 70s Lead 75 1x15 and a spankin' new '65 Delux Reverb 1x12 They can be loud (if you crank them) but they can also purr like kittens. The Lead 75 has a toggle to drop it down to 15 watts - and (ironically) has a lead preamp stage that can be cascaded into the normal preamp stage. Foot-switchable too. (Hmm...I wonder who they got those ideas from, right?)

There's always the option to add a power attenuator to the mix if you're one of the "dimed in the bedroom" crowd. But since she's a low to medium volume type of guitarist, we never felt the need. Besides, plugging a pedal into the front jack is a lot easier if you ever do need that full out sound at reasonable levels. More flexible too, as we all know.

We also know any guitar amp packing more than 50 watts makes no sense to build at all. Even much over 25 watts is pushing it. With today's sound technology, those high wattage behemoths and gigantic backlines of yesteryear are just soooo yesteryear. Unless you're into guaranteed ear damage. Or possible electrocution.

Perfect compliment to that Fender guitar tone if that's what you're looking for, but I prefer to think of Fenders as the platform everybody else dove off of.  
--- End quote ---

Sounds about right to me! ;D

Yeah, I'm aware that they're all Bassman underneath, but I love the soul that happens when you start tinkering...

--- End quote ---

So do I. And there's certainly a lot more to life than "classic" sound and vibe. Tinkering? I say: Keep at it! :Thmbsup: 8)

Vurbal:
Honestly, that wasn't even the biggest problem in his band. His guitarist was a wannabe late 80s hair metal god with as bad a case of LGD (lead guitarist's disease) as I've ever seen.
-Vurbal (December 03, 2014, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1! :Thmbsup: Right up there with Roger Fisher in Heart's original lineup.
-40hz (December 03, 2014, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that the truth.  Here's a tip for any aspiring rock stars. If you you have a vocalist anywhere near the ability of Ann Wilson in your band, she will always be your primary focus,  and don't ever forget how lucky you are to have her. Journeyman lead guitarists are a dime a dozen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version