ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (12/65) > >>

superboyac:
Anyone seen or been a part of any nifty one-man musical shows involving good use of portable technology?  It's always something on my mind as I get busier and forming/practicing with groups becomes more difficult.  The solid state drives have really improved the ability to play sampled instruments, which is very handy, and they have made live music much easier in general.

I remember the 80s and the roland drum machine one man shows.  Now, we can have better sounding loops and stuff, but also better abilities to improvise the loops on the fly.  Some useful software for this I've been meaning to toy with:
Ableton live (apparently, this is good for looped stuff or live playback)
Cantabile (I really have my eye on this one, since I use a lot of VSTs and samples.  You can create set lists and the interface is built for what I'm describing).  I've personally never seen it used myself, or anything like it, but there are many people using this out there.

[edit]
oh! you know what would probably work?  Using a wireless playstation controller (DS4) and being able to control a live situation with it.  I've already used it for emulators, and it works very well.  I once was looking for a midi controller to do this sort of thing, but what i really need is a bunch of buttons and mouse stuff that can be assigned keyboard shortcuts, I don't need midi things.  Using midi and configuring it to do non-musical things on the computer is a huge pain.

40hz:
Looping has come so far it's almost it's own musical idiom and discipline these days. I have a huge amount of admiration for people who have mastered samples and looping for live performance. Tom Dolby does it brilliantly. I have zero interest in doing it myself. But I love seeing other people who do it well. A lot of one-person street performers are into it big time.

I've even seen a few one man shows where the performer was also controlling an entire multimedia environment along with the music in a manner far beyond that of the average DJ. Cool stuff. Again, not something I personally want to do. But I respect people who are trying to push the envelope and technology as far as possible.

:Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Looping has come so far it's almost it's own musical idiom and discipline these days. I have a huge amount of admiration for people who have mastered samples and looping for live performance. Tom Dolby does it brilliantly. I have zero interest in doing it myself. But I love seeing other people who do it well. A lot of one-person street performers are into it big time.

I've even seen a few one man shows where the performer was also controlling an entire multimedia environment along with the music in a manner far beyond that of the average DJ. Cool stuff. Again, not something I personally want to do. But I respect people who are trying to push the envelope and technology as far as possible.

:Thmbsup:
-40hz (December 02, 2014, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNIQrIXlrNw
Wow!  That is very impressive, (Dolby). 

The other reason why I like this tech is because it's like a shortcut for writing music.  Writing notes on ledger is great practice, but extremely time consuming.  Entering it midi into something like finale is also time consuming.  Now, I can basically record all the parts and that's my "written" music.  I can take that to a studio and say "play this" to the musicians instead of giving them paper.

40hz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNIQrIXlrNw
Wow!  That is very impressive, (Dolby).
-superboyac (December 02, 2014, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup! TD is awesome! I've posted these previously but they're worth revisiting. First is Europa. What's really impressive is how minimalist his setup is here. But he still does a creditable performance with it. That setup is well within the financial resources of the average musician. Like burlesque queen Gypsy Rose Lee so famously said: "It ain't how much you've got. It's how you use it."

Then there's his multimedia extravaganza/retrospective The Invisible Lighthouse where he pulls out all the stops and goes state of the art. This is the trailer for the show:

superboyac:
i wish I had more videos of my performances, but I was just watching this and it's basically exactly what I wish i could play like.  Dave Mckenna is a new discovery for me and has blown me away.  I have always wanted such a balance of virtuosity, accessibility, and rhythm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version