ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (10/65) > >>

40hz:
@E - You didn't do anything wrong if it was the Dual Rectifier AFAIC. That was (is) one harsh amp. I once suggested that my godson (the Berklee College of Music guitar major) go with a Vox AC-30. I based this recommendation on the general sound he liked, his style of playing, and the stuff he wanted to play. He went with a Dual 'Recto' instead. Seven years later, and now a gigging musician, he uses an AC-30 as his main amp. Even called to tell me what a great "box" it was - and ask if I ever tried one. ;D

Funny thing about the Mesa Boogie Mark {Roman numeral here}...It's core circuit design is just a 50s Fender Bassman. It's tricked out with some fancy gain stages on the front end. And some minor electrical design improvements. But it's still mostly a Bassman. As are roughly 70% of all medium power guitar amps built today.

Like the P-Bass, the Strat, and the Tele...it amazing how much - and how often - Leo Fender got it almost completely right the very first time.

Leo! THE MAN!!! :-* :Thmbsup:

-----------------------

BTW-  my current fav for a reasonably priced guitar amp (if I were buying today - which I'm not) would be the Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb.

If I had money to burn, I'd opt for a Magnatone Twilighter if for no other reason than to get that real (i.e. pitch-shifting) vibrato circuit and dreamy reverb tank. But I'd have to wipe the blood off my nose after looking at the price tag. (Note: I'm a delay/modulation junky in case you hadn't guessed.)

Nick Jaffee (Just Nick) has a nice discussion and demo of each here and here.

Long live the 6V6! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

40hz:
That should help greatly with my technique - especially since I'm not using a pick like I did the first time around.
-Vurbal (December 01, 2014, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing wrong with a pick IMO. Just one more arrow in the quiver. I'm a finger player myself. But if you ever play a large venue - or a big outdoor gig - you'll sometimes need to sacrifice that "feel" for the extra definition a pick provides. At least if you want the "pulse" to be heard and felt instead of just blasting out a low amorphous roar.

Check out bassist Scott Devine's website and YouTube channel. He's got some really good bass-oriented instructional videos. Really nice guy. And a talented and dedicated musician. I always find something interesting and worthwhile there. I suggest you subscribe to (at least) his freebie lessons. I was lucky enough to have my GF buy me a subscription to his bass academy as a birthday present last year. I got a huge amount out of it despite having played a bass for most of my life. (If I have any advantage in music, it's my unshakable belief there's always something new I can learn or try to master.)

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Scott Devine in any way, shape, or form. I just really like what he's doing for bass players. :Thmbsup:

Vurbal:
That should help greatly with my technique - especially since I'm not using a pick like I did the first time around.
-Vurbal (December 01, 2014, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing wrong with a pick IMO. Just one more arrow in the quiver. I'm a finger player myself. But if you ever play a large venue - or a big outdoor gig - you'll sometimes need to sacrifice that "feel" for the extra definition a pick provides. At least if you want the "pulse" to be heard and felt instead of just blasting out a low amorphous roar.

Check out bassist Scott Devine's website and YouTube channel. He's got some really good bass-oriented instructional videos. Really nice guy. And a talented and dedicated musician. I always find something interesting and worthwhile there. I suggest you subscribe to (at least) his freebie lessons. I was lucky enough to have my GF buy me a subscription to his bass academy as a birthday present last year. I got a huge amount out of it despite having played a bass for most of my life. (If I have any advantage in music, it's my unshakable belief there's always something new I can learn or try to master.)

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Scott Devine in any way, shape, or form. I just really like what he's doing for bass players. :Thmbsup:-40hz (December 01, 2014, 09:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've got nothing against using a pick, but it turns out I'm a lot better with my fingers. In fact, it turns out I just sort of naturally worked out a variation of the floating thumb muting technique Scott covers in one of his videos. Billy Sheehan also has some excellent instructional videos for bassists at just about any skill level.

The way I see it, though, there's no substitute for having a good teacher to analyze and critique my technique. One of the many things I'm doing differently this time around is focusing on technique before all else. If you get that down first, everything else will come in time. Technically you can also save it for last, but that takes so much longer - as I learned the hard way in my youth.

That's also something of a benefit to dealing with the narrower nut width for now. It makes me work that much harder at precision fretting - pun only slightly intended.

40hz:
I wonder if we should ask Mouser about the possibility of getting a Musician/Musical Instrument/Music Tech child board at DoCo? ;D

Or maybe I should just set one up for us 'off-campus' so to speak? :huh:

Vurbal:
He might go for the child board. At the least he'd want in on it if we set it up elsewhere.

Maybe what we need is to show up at his place with our instruments and tell him to get out his guitar. So who plays drums? And who's driving?  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version