ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (4/65) > >>

Renegade:
What's funny now is that now if you can't play a few riffs from AC/DC or Metallica, you're probably not much of a musician, which is a far cry from when some of us were younger (and some of us predate them too!). :D

Like, FFS... Seek & Destroy on flute!!!

Really? If flutists know that, nobody else has an excuse. :P (It's a darn fun song to play.)

If that's not enough, Angel of Death on banjo!

THAT is seriously a video worth watching!

What was "music" that you could learn when I was a kid has shifted a lot.

However, I must admit, I couldn't find anything cool on the French horn... :P

wraith808:
I guess I'll say something :)

Vocally, I cross all genres- but for piano and guitar, I am firmly in the Classical genre- for piano, that means Baroque, High Classical, Romantic, and Early.  For Guitar, that encompasses Renaissance and Baroque, with *some* Spanish.  I just can't seem to get a handle on more modern music, no matter how much I try.

For the longest time I had a Steinway upright passed down from my great grandmother, to my grandmother, to my father, to me, so it was definitely getting long in the tooth, and when I moved out of my mother's house had to leave it there.  It is still there... but for the moment only.  I think, not being able to transport it economically, it is going to go to my sister.  Since then, I've moved to digital, and have a mid-range Yamaha DGX-505.  It's functional, but I miss the real keys and tone of the steinway.  *sigh*

As far as my current guitar(s), I have a Taylor T5-C1 with a red edgeburst (bought back in the days when I could afford such things), and a 60th anniversary Fender Strat American Standard (bought new- again when I could afford such things).  I have a few others, but those are my two of note that I actually use.  I also have and play the trombone... but I'm honest enough to admit that I'm not exceptionally good- still have it from the marching band years.  I wanted to play the sax, and instead played the trombone, and so never really got into it.

As far as career-wise, it was going well; my teachers were very well reknown, and my family supported me wholesale.  But, as the venues got larger, and the strangers more critical- I realized that I have (or I developed) paralyzing stage fright.  I remember my first time- I was playing for an reasonably moderate sized auditorium- about 500 people or so... The pieces I knew like the back of my hand and weren't especially challenging- Solfegietto and Moonlight Sonata.  Halfway through the first piece, my right leg started shaking so bad I couldn't sustain.  Not too much of a loss in that piece, but coming to Moonlight Sonata...

I tried and tried (and truthfully... still try) to overcome it.  But no matter how much I try and/or play- it creates physical effects in me to play before audiences if I have the time to contemplate it.  If I play for myself, I get lost in it... and the watchers don't matter.  But you have to be able to do it all the time, any time to make a career of any sort.

40hz:
However, I must admit, I couldn't find anything cool on the French horn... :P
-Renegade (November 23, 2014, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

No? How about Entwhistle's french horn on the Overture of Tommy? Or in Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim from Quadrophrenia?

For those too young to know or remember:

Note: lyrics NSFW

BTW - which french horn? There are a few different types.

Renegade:
BTW - which french horn? There are a few different types.
-40hz (November 23, 2014, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sigh... Here's my French horn imitation... I give up. :P

tjbray:
My son's collection started with a 12 string telecaster I built from a hodgepodge of parts, which I fell back on my car painting days of the late 70's/early 80's and painted Ford Mustang red. I put a lipstick pickup in the bridge position and a hot Texas wound pickup in the neck. From there, we restored and rewired a number of guitars over the next 2-3 years, then I built him a strat wired with 6 DPDT switches to turn on/off each pickup separately and put in and out of phase like Queen's guitarist Brian May. I even hunted down a set of pickups with the same fat poles and specs as May's. That's when instructors, friends, and musicians began asking if I'd build guitars for them.
Just this Summer, my family and friends suggested I put my name on my guitars, so my hobby is now a VERY small business  I built a strat style guitar with a Fender TBX (treble bass expander) and an Atrec band control unit. The flawed fender tremolo was replaced with a Stetsbar unit. I have pics of that guitar.

I'm about 70% done with a PJ style bass with active pickups and a through the body bridge. I've dyed its swamp ash black, highlighted the grain with a silver powder suspension, and am French polishing the body now. The rosewood neck I've sealed in lacquer like Rickenbacker does. On deck for future contracted builds I've got a 50's tele style with the body made from a combination of maple, Honduran mahogany, and Peruvian walnut, and a few builds whenever no contracted work is in the making like an arch top with two TV Jones HBs and a barncaster from reclaimed pine that I intend to partially burn before starting.
I'm a retired cop, and this is far more relaxing than chasing bad guys!

That said, I should use this forum to see if anyone could whip out a couple of form apps or files, like an inventory list that I could use to see what it cost me, as well as a build sheet that I could spec the entire build out to provide an estimate sheet and an itemized bill of sale. I may do well as a luthier, but I rather suck at creating anything on my PC or my iPhone. (sorry it took so long to post this, have been away from my desktop for a while now...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version