ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (8/65) > >>

40hz:
@Vurbal - that 32" scale is the tough part.

The only affordable bass I know that's currently available with that is the Schecter Prowler SGR. Unfortunately, no lefty model AFAIK. And Schecter is Schecter. You like em' or ya don't. I find their basses workmanlike and generally well made. But their tonal qualities are bland and colorless AFAIC. More discerning listeners than me may think (or imagine ::)) they sound otherwise. ;)

If you're ever committed I'd suggest a nice afffordable lefty Squire bass fitted with a custom neck you could order from Warmouth. Warmouth necks can be fairly inexpensive if you don't go overboard with options that can quickly add up.

I just spec'ed a 32" unfinished maple left-handed P-Bass style (i.e. SSB Warhead) with GraphTech nut and rosewood fingerboard with cream dot top and side inlays. It came to $210, which is awfully reasonable for a less common scale neck. I'd probably order it without mounting holes however since I don't know if a Squire's bolts line up exactly with Fender's layout. At the very least I'd ask first. The "Made in China" models seem to line up just fine. But the "Hecho en México" models don't quite always. At least in my experience. YMMV.

Here's the specSpecifications
Style: SSB Warhead
Construction: Short Scale Bass
Scale: 32"
Neck Wood:
$180.00 USD

Shaft Wood: Maple
    Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood

Stiffening Rods:
+ $0.00
Orientation: Left Handed
+ $0.00
Nut Width: 1 1/2"
+ $0.00
Back Shape: C-Shape
+ $0.00
Radius: Straight 10"
+ $0.00
# of Frets: 21
+ $0.00
Fret Size: 6105
+ $0.00
Tuner Ream: BML Lite (17mm)
+ $0.00
Inlays:
+ $0.00

Inlays: Cream Face Dots
    Side Dots: White Side Dots

Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
+ $30.00
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
+ $0.00
Finish: No Finish
+ $0.00
Price: $210.00

--- End quote ---

Vurbal:
I certainly have no problem with Schecters, or any number of other brands a lot of musicians turn their noses up at. Actually, the bass I bought when I decided to start playing again is an ultra cheap, but also workmanlike,  SX J-bass. Except for having the standard 1.5" jazz nut, it's exactly what I listed in my last post.

Unfortunately SX basses don't have the same pocket dimensions as a Fender or else I'd probably look into just replacing the nec. If I go that route, and I probably will eventually, a Squier is almost certainly what I'll start from. However, I'll probably be looking at a neck from USA Custom Guitars since Warmoth's 32" scale necks are all designed for 1.5" nuts.

Alternatively, I may get lucky and find a 32" scale lefty SX P-Bass before then. Even new it would be well worth the (sub $200) price just for the neck

40hz:
I certainly have no problem with Schecters, or any number of other brands a lot of musicians turn their noses up at. Actually, the bass I bought when I decided to start playing again is an ultra cheap, but also workmanlike,  SX J-bass. Except for having the standard 1.5" jazz nut, it's exactly what I listed in my last post.
-Vurbal (December 01, 2014, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll agree with you 100% there. I personally happen to like inexpensive odd-brand guitars and basses. Especially imports from China.

I have expensive Fender, Gibson. Spector, and Godin basses. I've owned basses by Alembic :-*, Yamaha, and almost every other major brand. And I also currently own inexpensive (or dirt cheap) Cort, Epiphone, Memphis, and Baltimore basses. They all play and sound great.

The biggest surprise was the Baltimore. I bought it on a whim for $49 from my local Guitar Center. I originally intended rout a 'swimming pool' in the middle and use it as a 'lab rat' for testing out various pickups and wiring schemes. But when I got it home I soon discovered the neck was so spot on - and the fit and finish so flawless - that I just dropped in a better (but equally inexpensive) set of pickups from Guitar Fetish, did some very minor setup work, and now use it regularly just the way it is. It has a better neck and fret job than some $1K+ USA Fender basses I've tried out recently. And it has a really cool (to my eyes) retro/Nippon look. I keep getting asked where I got it. Everybody who's tried it loves it.

Looks like this - and sorry for the rotated image. (What is it with these iPhone cameras?) :

Do we have any musical people on DC?

You can't really tell from the picture, but it's candy apple red metallic. I understand they no longer make that insane pickguard and have since gone over to a standard P-Bass design. Too bad!

Truth is, with so much automated NC manufacturing these days the tolerances, even on a cheap solid body, are so good that the adage: Cheap bass + quality replacement pickups + Burns or Clarostat replacement pots = awesome instrument. I'd throw in a replacement bridge and/or tone cap (if needed) to that formula and "Bob's yer uncle."

I've never played an SX bass. But bassists I know and respect who have tried one have nothing but good things to say about them. Knowing me, I'll probably end up owning one sooner or later. I have it on good authority that the SX Ursa Jr. short scale series makes an excellent base for a picolo bass mod.

Yeah...knowing me...sooner or later.... ;D :Thmbsup:

------------------------------------------------

P.S. I didn't know USA Custom did 32" necks. I though they only did "standard" scale lengths. Good to know. :Thmbsup:

Vurbal:
I'll say this for the 2 SX basses I've played - mine and my daughter's Ursa Jr P-Bass. The pickups are much better than you get on most ultra cheap models. They're certainly a big step up from what you get in any Squier. In fact, every account I've read about people swapping the Jazz pickups out for standard Fender MIA versions concludes the difference is in character,  rather than quality. If you prefer some of the third party alternatives, that's obviously a different story.

I do plan to swap out the tuners and bridge eventually, although they're good enough that it's not a high priority. However, there is a tiny bit of neck dive which appropriate upgrades should take care of. What it does need badly is new pots/jack/wiring and proper cavity grounding.

The one thing that did shock me when I first picked it up was the truss rod. SX basses are notorious for needing extensive setup, but the truss rod on mine had to be tightened almost 2 1/2 turns. It could have been worse, though. At least you don't have to take the neck off to reach the truss rod nut, like on some cheap instruments.

In any case, for a little over $200 shipped, and including a generic,  but perfectly adequate, hard case, I have no complaints.

I was also fortunate to find a nice deal on a decent amp. For less than $250 I got an 80's Trace Elliot AH150 SMC GP7 and a 4x10 Hartke aluminum cone driver. A lot of people don't care for the TE sound, but I find the mid boosting Pre Shape to be nice for rounding out the J-Bass sound. The cab is an old Transporter, so not exactly what I'd prefer, but good enough to get me through until I can upgrade.

Vurbal:
P.S. I didn't know USA Custom did 32" necks. I though they only did "standard" scale lengths. Good to know. :Thmbsup:
-40hz link=topic=39027.msg370379#msg370[quote author=40hz (December 01, 2014, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

You should probably take that with a grain or 3 of salt. I've been told they have 32" necks,but I've avoided looking for myself so I don't buy something i can't afford and face my wife's fury.

I do know their Fender compatible bodies and necks are lighter than the Warmoth equivalents. Apparently Fender requires licensees to make them thicker than the Fender originals, presumably to give themselves a perceived quality advantage. Since USACG makes knock offs instead of licensed replacements, they're not bound by those anti-competitive terms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version