ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (27/65) > >>

40hz:
@40hz: (re vanilla) - So, I gave out little 1oz bottles of vanilla to my co-workers (wife did the same).  So I think I'm on to something.  Here's my recipe:
-theGleep (December 23, 2014, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds really good! I'll have to give it a try after the holidays. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. :Thmbsup:

I just started working on a liqueur based on Earl Gray tea and orange blossom honey as the primary flavoring ingredients. If it ever amounts to anything I'll be sure to let you know.

theGleep:
@40hz:  Sounds interesting!  I tried some of the "young leftovers" in banana cream pie.  Worst batch of pie I've ever made.  I forgot the salt, and the liquor is too present.  Maybe if it sits a while longer, but I doubt it. :)

tjbray:
@theGleep: let me know how you felt the flow was through your gun at each cut you use. I'm seriously thinking of using a preval kit (a disposable spray can you fill with your paint /stain) to shellac the tele I'll be doing next. I may even try the Arm-R-Seal poly varnish through one, but I'm not sure I can clean it out good enough for more than one application. The preval will save me from heating up the garage or the shop in the barn, where my compressors are, and just set up in our basement.
I like the sound of your vanilla  project. Something I may get the wife interested in working on sometime with me!

theGleep:
@tjbray:  I'm actually using an airbrush - the $10 from harbor freight, with 5 changeable bottles; the air blows over the nozzle for the bottle and sucks the shellac out.

It seems to work pretty well.  I've managed a few layers (6?) before I came down with the flu.  It seems to go pretty well - half a bottle (about 1oz bottles) per coat.  I'm still learning - got some sag, and bits of dust here and there; but I'm knocking it down with 400grit wet/dry.  As it gets thicker, I'll be moving up to 600 grit...maybe eventually something even finer.

I think I said before - I did one-pound cut for the airbrush.  Also, I'm being careful to clean out the nozzle each use by swapping to a bottle of just alcohol and spraying that for a bit.

tjbray:
@theGleep: Hope you're feeling better. I never thought of using an airbrush. It sounds like far less sanding, and I'd guess overspray isn't much different than a HVLP detail gun. I'll have to pick one up for the tele build.
I have all my build's electronics on the way, still shopping for a better price on Hipshot Ultralight tuners and a drop d extender. With the sale of this build, I'll finally have enough in my hobby account to cover high dollar builds without coming from our regular account. Not having to balance my hobby/business with my Happy Wife life will surely speed my production up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version