ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Rewriting work for hire after the fact...

<< < (2/2)

Deozaan:
Didn't ZeniMax/Bethesda/id Software recently sue John Carmack, saying all the ideas he had about VR Goggles while he worked at id belong to id? He is now working for Oculus Rift/Facebook.

MilesAhead:
Didn't ZeniMax/Bethesda/id Software recently sue John Carmack, saying all the ideas he had about VR Goggles while he worked at id belong to id? He is now working for Oculus Rift/Facebook.
-Deozaan (September 18, 2014, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read advice somewhere that after designing a program of a kind for the first time, make a small prototype to learn how the code would actually function.  Then once you have a grasp of it, throw the original design away since it was conceived before you knew what you were doing.  In these lawsuits I have to wonder how many times the developer got locked into the original crummy design because management wants to start getting a return.  So it's possible rather than theft the "stolen" code may be the new design developed on the programmer's own time.  That's why when he goes to a competitor the new design kicks ass.

I bet it happens frequently.  Then the original sour grapes company wants to cash in on the new improved version it refused to fund.

Just speculation of a fun kind.  :)

wraith808:
-Deozaan (September 18, 2014, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup.  That happened.  And that's risk come to fruition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version