ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: force Common File Dialog instead of Common Item Dialog?

(1/2) > >>

ConstanceJill:
Hello there .o/

I've been looking for a while but didn't find any way to force programs under Windows 7 to use the "Common File Dialog" (as shown here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646960%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ) instead of the newer "Common item Dialog" ( illlustrated there: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb776913%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ).

Would anyone here know of some way, or perhaps be able to create some sort of "hack"/utility which would do that?
I really hate the newer dialog that shows that whole tree filled with folders I don't usually need to access, while the older dialog and its customizable "Places bar" was just fine.

Thanks for your replies :}

MilesAhead:
The only way I know would be to use older versions of software written for XP.  They would not know about the new functions.

Other than that all I can see is ask the developer for a setting telling which dialog you would rather use.  But I think the demand for the extra coding would be very small.  It's risking introducing errors to nearly zero benefit.

Perhaps if the application is open source you could try to get someone to code a variation.

ConstanceJill:
So if I understand right, it's not possible to have an app that monitors when other programs call that huh... I'll call it "function"... from the system and somehow "redirect" their call to the other function ? :/

MilesAhead:
So if I understand right, it's not possible to have an app that monitors when other programs call that huh... I'll call it "function"... from the system and somehow "redirect" their call to the other function ? :/
-ConstanceJill (September 11, 2014, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see how you could do it without creating hacked system DLLs.  Such DLLs would likely be flagged as malware.  If anyone would know it's probably programmers on CodeProject

In their wisdom Microsoft created file open and save dialogs as closed code.  Meaning you cannot subclass them to get the default behavior for free and just add the new stuff you want.  That's why custom functions sold to programmers aren't found in free code libraries.  They usually cost a few hundred bucks.

No quick fix that I know of.

app103:
And here I wish I had a way to do the reverse, when using older software. I really like the newer Common Item Dialog.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version