ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

‘Cyborg Unplug’ Is a Personal Jammer Against Drones, Glassholes

<< < (2/4) > >>

rjbull:
if you're filming me without my knowledge/consent...then you're violating my privacy.-Stoic Joker (September 10, 2014, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
As wraith points out, here in the UK we are constantly surveilled.  On the other hand, and as I understand UK law, if you're in a public place, your face is photographically public property.  "Public" is underlined because a lot of places you'd think are public, aren't; commonly shopping centres that are privately owned.  Despite the law there's been much aggravation in recent years from over-zealous police citing terrorism and from anti-paedophile vigilantism.  UK magazine Amateur Photographer has been campaigning against police abuse.

Stoic Joker:
if you're filming me without my knowledge/consent...then you're violating my privacy.-Stoic Joker (September 10, 2014, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
As wraith points out, here in the UK we are constantly surveilled.-rjbull (September 10, 2014, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh well gee wiz...I guess if it's the new normal then it must be just fine then ... Not!

It's one thing for a business to put up cameras - most of which are on either a closed loop, or just have shit for storage. They are static and reasonably avoidable. It is however quite another thing for some individual who arrogantly thinking their entire waking life moment by moment is worth documenting decides to include me in their home movies. Then they end up on some LEO's radar, who want's to "talk to" everyone on dipsticks movie...and I get flushed down the rabbit hole with them.

No... That is not acceptable. And once it gets explained to said errant fool it is going to come down to a simple question of which one of us is about to use what method to turn off that camera ... because the camera is about to get turned off.

SeraphimLabs:
Practical use for a business would be where you have a wireless network in which your employees know the key to use it. You can then set one of these to selectively kick off common models of cameras or phones to protect sensitive company information or to keep employees focused on their work and not their facebook.

For home use it isnt really that useful- but if my neighbors continue to jam my wifi with their poorly configured gear I would love to have one of these in hand for search and destroy.

wraith808:
No... That is not acceptable. And once it gets explained to said errant fool it is going to come down to a simple question of which one of us is about to use what method to turn off that camera ... because the camera is about to get turned off.
-Stoic Joker (September 10, 2014, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Like I said, it's not alright to film people without permission.  But by the same token, we can also not be in the same area, i.e. one or the other remove ourselves.  I think that both extreme sides of the argument are just plain wrong.

The friends I know do just what is intended... use recording among friends and family at certain events.  But that doesn't mean that they don't wear them at other times... and that seems to be what people get paranoid about- even though they are doing nothing wrong.  No filming, no nothing.  How is that right?

Target:
The friends I know do just what is intended... use recording among friends and family at certain events.  But that doesn't mean that they don't wear them at other times... and that seems to be what people get paranoid about- even though they are doing nothing wrong.  No filming, no nothing.  How is that right?
-wraith808 (September 10, 2014, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

unfortunately it's the same old story where the few spoil things for the many.

too many people still don't realise that the internet is forever, and what someone thinks is harmless or a bit of a joke now could have real consequences far into the future

that and the fact that the media have trained us to be paranoid about both the technology and the people who use it (for whatever reason).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version