ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A warning to anybody who is looking to purchase a VPS.

<< < (3/3)

app103:
I know someone that charges what works out to be about $0.83 per month ($10/year) for his smallest VPS package, that would give a lot better customer service than that, for free. (and yes, I already pointed Stephen in his direction) So, no, the price isn't that unrealistic.
-app103 (September 10, 2014, 05:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm skeptical. Got a URL?
-Renegade (September 10, 2014, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.mycustomhosting.net/kvm-vps.php

From DC member pip2kk

4wd:
Low end VPS is a real buyer beware situation.-mwb1100 (September 10, 2014, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

But the deals from reputable providers are too good to pass up sometimes  ;D

eg.
OpenVZ
50GB space
512MB + 512MB
3 virtual cores
1Gbps
2TB / month traffic

for $15/year, was absolutely excellent at the time I was looking and the provider has been very good.

wraith808:
A choice like a host has to be googled before using, the price may be one hint as to quality but more expensive doesn't equate to good either.
-rgdot (September 10, 2014, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't even trust google.  I trust word of mouth from people using it... and policies on things like money back and such.  If the implication was that I was saying that liquidweb was good just because of price, that was the wrong impression I was giving.  I pay my money because they're a good service that I trust and have been with for years.

SeraphimLabs:
A choice like a host has to be googled before using, the price may be one hint as to quality but more expensive doesn't equate to good either.
-rgdot (September 10, 2014, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't even trust google.  I trust word of mouth from people using it... and policies on things like money back and such.  If the implication was that I was saying that liquidweb was good just because of price, that was the wrong impression I was giving.  I pay my money because they're a good service that I trust and have been with for years.
-wraith808 (September 10, 2014, 11:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Google is too easily manipulated, and there is an entire market that exists for the sole purpose of 'secret formula' google manipulation to make your results appear above your competitors.

The shady providers oftentimes take advantage of these questionable services to boost their rankings and drive sales.

Taophoenix did a study of shared hosting providers some time back though and determined that there was a sort of sustainability barrier that would appear in the 6-7 month time period. A majority of providers who took his challenge failed within that 7 month window, while providers who survived it experienced something similar to a half-life phenomena as time went on.

I held the lead position on said study for quite some time, and probably still am marked as such despite my recent downscaling. After 5 years in the business I'm realizing that I just plain can't compete with most of what is being offered nowdays.

Unfortunately I don't offer VPSs myself. Its a market I've wanted to get into for a long time, but the infrastructure requirement to do it was always just out of my reach.

I can do referrals to PhotonVPS or LoveVPS though, companies that I have been using for several years with good results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version