ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Your favorite podcasts?

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
I have seen Marc Maron on tv a few times and have never been a fan, but a friend recently turned me on to his podcast around the time that Robin Williams died (he had a pretty heavy interview with Robin Williams).

He has now done more than 500 podcasts -- which are 30-60 minutes in length and are mostly just one on one interviews with someone in comedy or music business.  I've been really impressed with them -- they are adult discussions, at times funny, sad, vulnerable, deep, etc.

Most of the podcasts are surprisingly deep and frank discussions with comedians, moving between discussions of personal struggles, work ethic, and the theory of comedy.  Really fascinating stuff.

http://www.wtfpod.com/

Highly recommended.  What other podcasts do you guys listen to?

40hz:
Mostly lit and sci-fi audio stories for me:

Escape Pod

Escape Pod is the premier science fiction podcast magazine. Every week we bring you short stories from some of today’s best science fiction stories, in convenient audio format for your computer or MP3 player.

We pay our authors, but we will always be 100% free. We are supported through listener donations and sponsorship, so if you like what you hear, please consider donating via our PayPal button!

Escape Pod is produced and distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
--- End quote ---

Clark's World Magazine

The Clarkesworld Podcast features all of our fiction in audio form. Each episode is hosted by Kate Baker and features an original story from our current issue. By visiting this page, you can sign up to have each episode sent to you via iTunes or email. If you use Stitcher, you can find us here. Best of all, we offer this service completely free of charge.
Episode Schedule

A new episode is added to our site on the 1st, 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of each month.
Prior Episodes

A complete archive of all our podcasts is available here. You can listen to them at any time.

--- End quote ---

The Drabblecast

The Drabblecast is a weekly podcast featuring flash fictions from a variety of genres. Its singular message is that of off beat, funny, eclecticism. It is a paying fiction market, accepting submissions (see the submissions page for more information). The Drabblecast is the winner of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Parsec Awards for Best Speculative Fiction Audio Magazine.
--- End quote ---

PodCastle

Fantasy fiction. Some R-rated.

Pseudopod

Welcome to Pseudopod!

You’ve found the world’s premier horror fiction podcast. Pseudopod brings you the best short horror in audio form, to take with you anywhere.

WARNING: This is a podcast of horror fiction. The stories presented here are intended to disturb. They are likely to contain death, graphic violence, explicit sex (including sexual violence), hate crimes, blasphemy, or other themes and images that hook deep into your psyche. We do not provide ratings or content warnings. We assume by your listening that you wish to be disturbed for your entertainment. If there are any themes that you cannot deal with in fiction, that are too strongly personal to you, please do not listen.

Pseudopod is for mature audiences only. Hardly any story on Pseudopod is suitable for children. We mean this very seriously.

--- End quote ---

Tor.com Audio: Fiction with Mur Lafferty

For over a year, Tor.com has brought you excellent short fiction on our site, but now, podnovelist extraordinaire Mur Lafferty is making the audio of these stories available to you in podcast form. We’ll be bringing you both new fiction and our archived stories, so don’t worry if you’ve missed anything archived on the site. The podcast will also include mention of the recent topics on the Tor.com blog, convention reports, and interviews from time to time.
--- End quote ---

There's many more podcasts I regularly follow. But these will do for a start.

Oh yes....one more...

If you're a Blues fan, The Roadhouse  :-* ("The finest blues you never heard.") is a must listen. Straight blues, blues-rock, roots, Chicago-style...this podcast covers it all. Something for everyone.

The Roadhouse is a true labor of love, intended to present the full range of blues music to a broad Internet audience.

I’ve often heard folks who are unfamiliar with blues note that it’s “such simple music.” Indeed, it is. But the range of blues styles is breathtaking. From the Delta to Chicago, from pre-war to jump, acoustic, electric, harps, horns – it’s difficult, if not impossible, to describe the emotions conveyed with such a simple form. Blues music is, in my mind, that last great act of defiance; a declaration to the world that, “You gave me your toughest shot and, yes, I’m still standing.” Blues lovers everywhere understand.

With that in mind, I’m dedicated, via The Roadhouse, to preserving this priceless musical form, to presenting a broad range of blues each week (much of it by artists that even hardcore blues fans may not be aware of), and to promoting gleeful chair-dancing with each and every show.
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
Years ago I used to listen to Twit & Security Now, Scott Hanselman's podcast (now much expanded), and The Project Studio Network (now defunct) regularly.

My current favourites are (top 3 are my top favs):

* Anarchast (the intro uses "The Pledge of Resistance" by Saul Williams - spectacular!) (YT)
* The Corbett Report (several series - all excellent) (YT)
* The Tom Woods Show (YT)
* Trends Journal
* Adam vs. The Man (new site)
* Kal Molinet's show ("Hate the State Mondays" is fun)
* Reason TV (most shows are good, but Nick goes off sometimes)
* Christopher Cantwell (very NSFW) ("Some Garbage Podcast")
* And a whole bunch of others...
They all have Youtube channels as that's much easier to deal with - I don't need to download anything and I can play it on my tablet in the kitchen while cooking/cleaning or whatever.

I tend to grab random podcasts when they have some guests on their shows that I like. e.g. Tom Woods had Larken Rose on, and I found that his show was so good that I kept it on as one of the main shows I listen to. If you like really, truly in-depth history, economics, theory, etc., with expert guests, you might like The Tom Woods Show -- that's what I liked - great experts on focused topics, and Tom is just a brilliant interviewer - one of the best I've heard (yes - much better than Larry King or Amy Goodman).

But, finding podcasts by searching for guests tends to be a good way to find new ones from my own experience.

Probably not that many people would be interested in them, so I'm not bothering with descriptions. The acid test would be to check the Anarchast intro - if you like that, then you'd like a lot of the other stuff. Otherwise, feel free to call me batshit crazy. :P 8)

There are a lot of irregular shows that I watch/listen to as well. All the agricultural ones that I subscribe to are like that.

eleman:
Here are my favorites:

Australian BC's Big Ideas:
Big Ideas brings you the best of talks, forums, debates, and festivals held in Australia and around the world, casting light on the major social, cultural, scientific and political issues.

British BC's documentaries:
An indepth look at stories and issues from around the world.

allen:
Mostly lit and sci-fi audio stories for me:
-40hz (September 04, 2014, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! I've been looking for something to fill the gap since I finished We're Alive and Leviathan Wakes.

My most listened to podcasts is Euphonic Sessions with Kyau & Albert - Nice and LONG trance play lists, for those long runs.

I really enjoy a number of NPR podcasts, favorites are Wits (comedy) and Radio Lab.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version