ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Have you ever gone Geocaching or Letterboxing?

<< < (2/2)

barney:
Kinda like the much later 'rave' parties, except ours weren't so heavy on sex, drugs or general weirdness. -40hz (April 24, 2013, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gee, but what's a party without drugs and general weirdness?  Oh, I know, a "meeting".   :P
-Tinman57 (April 25, 2013, 07:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't recall too many meetings with overt sex - although there were some where folk might get screwed  :o.

Ike Roberts:
I did a little letterboxing about 50 years ago in Easton,PA along the Delaware Canal. The boxes are still there. You will need more logical skills than geocaching requires.

4wd:
Have you ever gone Geocaching or Letterboxing?

What has this got to do with letterboxing?

InscriptionIn Memory Of
James Perrott
Who Died May 23rd 1895
Aged 80 Years
Also Mary His Wife
Who Died March 12th 1898
Aged 79 Years

AnswerHe was the guide from Chagfordw that started letterboxing by installing the first letterbox at Cranmere Poolw.

The History of Letterboxing:
The year was 1854, and a Victorian guide named James Perrott placed a bottle in the wildest, most inaccessible area on Dartmoor, England, along the banks of Cranmere Pool. In it, he included his calling card so future visitors could contact him and leave their own calling cards. Little did anyone know, this small act would be become the hobby we now know as letterboxing.
--- End quote ---

His grave is in St Michael's Church, Chagford.

I thought it may be of interest to someone - the cottage we're staying in, in Chagford is named after Cranmere Pool.

At some point I'll work up the energy to walk to it (~6km) ... or not  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version