ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Way to hide a desktop icon temporarily?

<< < (2/4) > >>

skwire:
If the "icon" is indeed a shortcut it will "disappear" if the Hidden attribute is set.  As an experiment I made a shortcut to cmd.exe and checked the Hidden attribute.  It winked out when I hit the Apply Button.  :)-MilesAhead (September 03, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually did think of this earlier but, if you're like me, you have "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" option enabled so this method wouldn't work.

MilesAhead:
If the "icon" is indeed a shortcut it will "disappear" if the Hidden attribute is set.  As an experiment I made a shortcut to cmd.exe and checked the Hidden attribute.  It winked out when I hit the Apply Button.  :)-MilesAhead (September 03, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually did think of this earlier but, if you're like me, you have "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" option enabled so this method wouldn't work.
-skwire (September 03, 2014, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does the OP have that option enabled?  Let's ask.  :)
Personally I hate seeing desktop.ini files in "empty" folders so I never enable it.

Curt:
I like having a clean desktop-jshare (September 03, 2014, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

J-Mac:
Fences!  http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Works great!

Jim

jshare:
Fences!  http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Works great!

Jim
-J-Mac (September 03, 2014, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Jim.

Fences is very cool and useful, but it's overkill and the only way I could achieve what I want is with a clunky custom rule for each icon that I want to hide, and that's a lot of work.

The usecase I'm looking for is: right-click on the icon to hide > Choose 'Hide until' > select a date and time. The icon then disappears until then.

Does the OP have that option enabled?  Let's ask.  :)
Personally I hate seeing desktop.ini files in "empty" folders so I never enable it.

-MilesAhead (September 03, 2014, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I do have it enabled too.

Desktop icons can be either actual files or shortcuts (which are actually LNK files).  So, short of moving particualr files to, say, a temp folder and back to the desktop on a schedule, which seems a bit hackish, I don't think what you want is elegantly possible.
-skwire (September 03, 2014, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Doh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version