ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for calendar software

<< < (3/5) > >>

app103:
Got a reply from eM's support: https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/how-to-set-up-to-use-calendar-only?#reply_14723076

Hi April, after installing eM client, just skip the initial account setup and do not setup any account.
When the application loads go to Tools > Settings > General, and check the option to "Show local folders".

This should display a Local folder item on the list in the left sidebar. Switch to the calendar view and right click this item, or select one of the calendars to start using your local calendar.

If you want to use the application for calendars only you can also hide all the other tabs from the sidebar by right clicking them and unchecking the option to show the selected.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more help with the setup.

Regards,
Paul.
--- End quote ---

So, I am all set!  Thanks! :Thmbsup:

Dirhael:
Got a reply from eM's support: https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/how-to-set-up-to-use-calendar-only?#reply_14723076

Hi April, after installing eM client, just skip the initial account setup and do not setup any account.
When the application loads go to Tools > Settings > General, and check the option to "Show local folders".

This should display a Local folder item on the list in the left sidebar. Switch to the calendar view and right click this item, or select one of the calendars to start using your local calendar.

If you want to use the application for calendars only you can also hide all the other tabs from the sidebar by right clicking them and unchecking the option to show the selected.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more help with the setup.

Regards,
Paul.
--- End quote ---

So, I am all set!  Thanks! :Thmbsup:
-app103 (September 03, 2014, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great to hear it worked out for you :Thmbsup: It's always a challenge finding software (or products in general really) that does more or less exactly what you need, no matter the usage case you got in your head. Occasionally in the same situation myself, and it's frustrating when the features you need are very specific. Sure Google etc. can be helpful, but often there are just to many products out there, and it takes time (which can be rare commodity) testing them until you find the one that got that "special something".

IainB:
I was tidying up my archives of trialled software today and happened upon this, which reminded me of the sort of thing being contemplated in this thread. Not sure whether it would suit, but I have put my collected notes below, in case. I recall trying it out some time back and thinking it was pretty nifty, but not really something that I needed at the time.
MonoCalendar (click on link)
Main
To ensure functionality, please install the Microsoft® .NET Framework!

MonoCalendar
I want to see a demonstration of the program

Sure! Simply visit the following URL and you will see how it works. Demonstration
EDIT 2014-09-06: Added link to Demonstration.

What is MonoCalendar?
MonoCalendar is an application designed for easy management of calendars. The idea is to try to make a program like iCal  that works in other platforms besides the Mac.

What is the purpose of MonoCalendar?
The purpose, as I was saying, is to try to offer a program as good as Apple's iCal in other operating systems like Windows and Linux. Many people would like to see iCal ported to Windows, but Apple has still not given confirmation of whether it is going to do that or not.

MonoCalendar does not try to be a iCal substitute. If iCal existed for Windows, I would recommend using that before MonoCalendar. On the other hand, since it currently does not exist for many systems, it is an alternative to consider, and furthermore it is an alternative that is Free Software.

Why did this project arise?
This project began thanks to ^Aurin^ (Rocío Movilla Iglesias). After buying an iBook and falling in love with iCal, she told me that she wanted to have that program in Windows. As I do not use Windows, she suggested the option of beginning the project in .NET.

To whom is MonoCalendar dedicated?
Of course, MonoCalendar is dedicated to ^Aurin^ (Rocío Movilla Iglesias), because she is the one that encouraged me to do it.

What is .NET and why did you decide to use it?
.NET is a technology quite similar to Java. It allows creating programs that run on multiple platforms and which use a variety of languages without requiring excessive amounts of code. This is a reason why it saves time while programming.

I decided to use .NET for several reasons:

* I use Linux, and needed something that worked in Windows. Other options to make programs multi-platform used to require extra effort to recompile programs in Windows, a thing that I did not want to do. There were other options that didn't require recompiling the programs in Windows, but they were not sufficiently powerful. The nearest option was Java, but I personally don't care for Java.
* It turns out that a project called Mono is being developed for Linux. It is a free framework for .NET, that allowed me to make the program in Linux and soon prove it in Windows. Mono combined with Gtk-sharp was one of the best options that I have seen for carrying out this kind of project.
Why did you use Gtk-sharp?
I have little knowledge of Windows and the use of MonoCalendar in Windows with Gtk-sharp implied that I needed to make an installer, that Mono detected and to use the version of Gtk-sharp that is installed. I was able to do this, but I had to use an ugly .bat file, which when executed leaves behind an ugly black window. I believe that Mono will someday solve these problems. But right now the installers of Mono and Gtk-sharp do not do it. I have noticed that the examples that come with Gtk-sharp also use .bat files, which does not seem to me to be ideal if one is trying make a professional-looking application. Also I have seen other problems in Gtk-sharp that did not happen with System.Windows.Forms. Using System.Windows.Forms avoided those problem for me, but I have to wait for the implementation of it in Mono optimizations and to correct bugs, but MonoCalendar works in Linux! Not very well, but it works - it is a great step.

Reviews on the web:
FindmySoft

--- End quote ---

The FindmySoft link: http://monocalendar.findmysoft.com/
MonoCalendar - Free appointments manager
Review by Frederick Barton on 12 Feb, 2013

A good way to remember important events is to mark them on a calendar. If you don't want to ruin your calendar with markings or sticky notes, you can schedule your events on a computer, using a specialized application. With MonoCalendar, you can place color coded notes on a calendar, which can display a single day, a week or an entire month.

The software is free and it comes with numerous language packs. It can be installed almost instantly, on all popular Windows versions. Its setup package is only 251 KB, which can be downloaded in a few seconds, even with slower Internet connections.

While the calendar is set to day or week mode, you may create new events, by clicking and dragging from one hour to another. This will create a colored box, on which you can type a description. Before creating an event, you can select an event category or create a new one, with a single click, on the left side of the interface.

Categories are associated with different colors automatically, when you create them. You will draw your notes with different colors, depending on which category you select. You can set a different opacity level for the notes on the program's general settings panel. It is also possible to select a 12 or a 24 hour time format, to display 5 or 7 days per week and to set daily beginning and ending hours.

Pros:
The software allows you to create color coded notes on a calendar. You can switch between day, week or month view modes and create different event categories. It is also possible to set up different time formats and make other adjustments.

Cons:
You can not assign colors to event categories yourself.

MonoCalendar gives you the possibility of illustrating and color coding your schedule, with only a few clicks.

--- End quote ---

rjbull:
The FindmySoft link: http://monocalendar.findmysoft.com/ -IainB (September 04, 2014, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
WOT gave that site a terrible rating; correct, or overkill (not unknown with WOT)?
Looking for calendar software

rjbull:
If you're happy with eM Client, great.  FWIW here are a couple of belated thoughts:

* EssentialPIM
Free and payware versions; a bit "cloudy"
* Rainlendar
Excellent; free and (dirt cheap) payware versions; not so "cloudy"  :)  don't overlook the galleries, as the skins make a big difference to appearance, and I think some have more features than others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version