ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for calendar software

<< < (4/5) > >>

app103:
I tried Rainlender, and it would be great if I were looking for a basic attractive desktop widget, whose sole purpose was showing me the month at a glance (and filling my desktop with eye candy), but for what I need, even with looking through a collection or 2 of skins, I couldn't find anything that made it a large enough window to be functional. (I am not running 800x600 here)

Also tried a portable version of the old Sunbird, but it doesn't handle overlapping events correctly, splitting them and causing a misalignment where event #1 ends and event #2 continues.

IainB:
The FindmySoft link: http://monocalendar.findmysoft.com/ -IainB (September 04, 2014, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
WOT gave that site a terrible rating; correct, or overkill (not unknown with WOT)? (see attachment in previous post)
-rjbull (September 05, 2014, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, sorry, as I said, "I was tidying up my archives of trialled software". I hadn't actually downloaded it from the the FindmySoft link - just cribbed the notes as posted above. I'm unsure where I originally downloaded it from - it was quite some time back -  but out of interest I fired it up just now and it seems to work OK - no Candyware or anything nasty like that.

In the MonoCalendar notes above, there is an embedded link that I had not copied across (I've updated it now), to a demo: Demonstration
That resolves to: http://monocalendar.sourceforge.net/demo/

It's quite a good demo, made using Wink. Watching it just now made me realise that MonoCalendar seemed like it could be an ideal fit for requirements similar to those referred to in this discussion thread, but a "suck-it-and-see" approach is what I would recommend.
I would suggest that the required functionality of the software is the issue rather than the quality of any given download site, but for greater peace of mind you could do a search on "MonoCalendar download" in DuckDuckGo and you'd get a page of relevant hits (as I did just now), so go for it if you'd like to find out more about MonoCalendar or even (say) try it out.

app103:
I would recommend.
I would suggest that the required functionality of the software is the issue rather than the quality of any given download site, but for greater peace of mind you could do a search on "MonoCalendar download" in DuckDuckGo and you'd get a page of relevant hits (as I did just now), so go for it if you'd like to find out more about MonoCalendar or even (say) try it out.
-IainB (September 06, 2014, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

But you gave the link already: http://www.monocalendar.com/  ;)

rjbull:
I tried Rainlender, and it would be great if I were looking for a basic attractive desktop widget, whose sole purpose was showing me the month at a glance (and filling my desktop with eye candy), but for what I need, even with looking through a collection or 2 of skins, I couldn't find anything that made it a large enough window to be functional. (I am not running 800x600 here)-app103 (September 05, 2014, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
I agree an option for a bigger window would be nice.  As you're an artist, had you considered making your own Rainlendar skin?  I don't know what's involved in that, though.

app103:
I agree an option for a bigger window would be nice.  As you're an artist, had you considered making your own Rainlendar skin?  I don't know what's involved in that, though.
-rjbull (September 16, 2014, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I did not, since I needed this calendar to be functional and in use, ASAP. I don't really have time to fuss with something that isn't usable, out of the box. Every day that I didn't have access to a suitable calendar would be another day of viewing spreadsheets and pretending they are calendars, which doesn't work for me (completely wrong layout).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version