topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 8's Task Manager -- Slow as Hell.  (Read 36242 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 8's Task Manager -- Slow as Hell.
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Hi everyone. I searched the Web a bit but can't find any real discussion and solution to this problem... And not too many people seems to complain about it.

Since I bought a new laptop with windows 8 pre-installed, I've had to put up with a super slow Task Manager. After hitting ctrl+shift+esc, Task Manager takes between 10s and 60s to appear. Anything else is quicker than that! Again : note that the laptop is new and fairly powerful.

Anybody else has this kind of experience ? Any potential cure ? it's really annoying.

(Reinstalling Windows is out of the question here -- too long.)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 8's Task Manager -- Slow as Hell.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Same here - even slow from the taskbar context menu. I did notice it was using over 20% CPU when it finally launched and then dropped back to nothing.

I absolutely hate the new task manager. I am sure it has better stuff in it than previous versions but I find it a confused layout, slow to use and one thing I really hate is that MSCONFIG no longer gives you a quick way to disable startup items - it sends you to task manager to fiddle with apps one at a time.

Haven't tried any of the alternative task managers but I bet some of them work better.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Ah! I'm not alone.  :)

There are a few good things about it, but just the fact that it's so s-s-l-l-o-o-w-w drives me mad. The whole idea of the task manager used to be "an application that always answers fast, no matter what"!  The weird thing is that I've read here and there comments about how responsive it is, etc. How can that be ? Here it's always been slow. I'm not using any special anti virus, and I use Comodo strictly as a Firewall for the days I'm traveling.

Haven't tried any of the alternative task managers either, simply because I've grown tired of maintaining an OS full of replacements for all the things that should just work... But I digress.

One thing I think I haven't tried consistently is launching it from the run "dialog". I might try that today -- I'm not holding my breath.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 01:29 PM »
I am using Windows Defender and Windows Firewall (both preinstalled in Win 8 as standard)- so I shouldn't be having problems because of 3rd party security software!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Mine takes a while when the processor is under load.   I haven't tried yet b/c I don't really use it that much (I use process explorer), but have you tried to increase the priority of task manager?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 02:19 PM »
The first thing I do on a new installation of any Windows version is replacing the task manager with a tool called 'Process Explorer' from SysInternals.

Their software is so good that Microsoft bought them up and they made the programmer one of the lead Windows architects. It is free to use and portable. I know for a fact that I am not the only member here who does this. This software is so essential, I don't get why it wasn't used as replacement.

There is an open source alternative (also portable)...with a somewhat ill chosen name: Process Hacker. This one is also very good.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 02:31 PM »
You're right, it seems very slow loading the first time.  But bring it up again and it's faster the second and subsequent times.

That said I usually use System Explorer instead, and leave it running.  It has most everything I need and some of the features are handy (like the running history of processes, connections and events).  If I need anything else I can fire up Process Explorer.  I don't replace the default Task Manager with either, as they are both simple to get at when I need them.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 02:48 PM »
@Carol: yup, that slowness is inexcusable.

The first thing I do on a new installation of any Windows version is replacing the task manager with a tool called 'Process Explorer' from SysInternals.

Thanks Shade. I use process explorer too from time to time -- especially when I need to find out what's keeping my external storage busy. It's always installed on my various machines. However, I (used to) launch taskmanager to rapidly kill tasks or check  ram/cpu usage of certain processes, etc. like most mere mortals. Process Explorer, while great, used to be slower --as in a few noticeable seconds slower. Now it's different though... Not because it's quicker, but because Task Manager has become unbearably slow.

Mine takes a while when the processor is under load.   I haven't tried yet b/c I don't really use it that much (I use process explorer), but have you tried to increase the priority of task manager?

By using e.g. "start /high" ?  Or by using the Prio utilitty (just found it by googling) ?

You're right, it seems very slow loading the first time.  But bring it up again and it's faster the second and subsequent times.

My experience is that it doesn't take too long before a re-run is slow again. And just remains slow, no matter how many times I rerun it. No idea what does that. Maybe atmospheric humidity.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 05:55 PM »
Mine takes a while when the processor is under load.   I haven't tried yet b/c I don't really use it that much (I use process explorer), but have you tried to increase the priority of task manager?

By using e.g. "start /high" ?  Or by using the Prio utilitty (just found it by googling) ?

You can just open the task manager and look for taskmgr.exe and right click on it and set it to high.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 12:02 AM »
This would only work as a temporary measure, if I'm not mistaken. Isn't the priority reset each time the task manager is closed? The problem isn't so much the slowness once it's loaded, but the (long) time it takes for it to just appear.

Just now, it took 25s to show its face. Feels like I'm booting an OS or something.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 12:10 AM »
This would only work as a temporary measure, if I'm not mistaken. Isn't the priority reset each time the task manager is closed? The problem isn't so much the slowness once it's loaded, but the (long) time it takes for it to just appear.

Just now, it took 25s to show its face. Feels like I'm booting an OS or something.

Mine maintains it from boot to boot.  When I just checked, it was on high, and I haven't touched it in forever.

http://www.wikihow.c...Windows-Task-Manager

I see that some say that doesn't do it permanently; not sure what governs that as mine seem to stay.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 01:46 AM »
Thanks Wraith.
Strange. I thought Windows 8 (maybe vista and 7 too, don't remember as I was on XP right before 8 ) treated priority changes at the "instance" level, so to speak. In any case, I can confirm that priority changes certainly don't stick here.

You're right, it seems very slow loading the first time.  But bring it up again and it's faster the second and subsequent times.

You might be right about that. I'll have to experiment some more. What might happen is that I very often put my laptop in standby mode, which probably flushes the caches -- sorry if the term isn't perfectly accurate.
Still...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:16 PM »
@Wraith : what version of Windows are you on ?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 02:33 PM »
@Wraith : what version of Windows are you on ?

Windows 7 - 32-bit and 64-bit (on different machines)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 03:26 PM »
You're right, it seems very slow loading the first time.  But bring it up again and it's faster the second and subsequent times.

That said I usually use System Explorer instead, and leave it running.  It has most everything I need and some of the features are handy (like the running history of processes, connections and events).  If I need anything else I can fire up Process Explorer.  I don't replace the default Task Manager with either, as they are both simple to get at when I need them.
I use System Explorer as well, but I do use it as a replacement for Task Manager (on Win7 and Win8) and don't leave it running all the time. I find it particularly useful for tracking down problems with hanging applications, particularly in Windows 8. Very often when Task Manager shows you that a program is hung System Explorer will also show that the DWM.exe (ie the compositing window manager that runs full time now in Win8) is also hung. In other words what really appears to be going on is that the userland program is only hanging because it's waiting for the window manager. That's a pretty important piece of information for troubleshooting.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Reviving an old thread.  :)
Seems like Windows 8.1's Task Manager running got quicker (coming back from standby/sleep mode)! Something like 10x quicker.
Now you're talking.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Reviving an old thread.  :)
Seems like Windows 8.1's Task Manager running got quicker (coming back from standby/sleep mode)! Something like 10x quicker.
Now you're talking.

I wonder if anyone tried the exe on 8.0?  I have 8.0 preloaded and there's no way I'd attempt to go to 8.1.

Right now I'm trying AnVir Task Manager Free since I saw it recommened someplace.  I haven't used it much yet though.  I liked DTaskManager but it only shows support up to Vista.

Edit:  and of course I have the SysInternals tools.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm still slow to upload to 8.1 - see.
So I guess I better install Process Explorer, cause it's true here too: "Windows 8's Task Manager -- Slow as Hell"
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25 AM »
I hate upgrading as it always brakes something. That's why I waited until March 2013 to leave XP.

The 8.1 upgrade (3 weeks ago) broke a few things (now working)

- Problems with all special folders (Documents, Music, Downloads, Videos, ...) : were reset to Microsoft defaults. So several applications couldn't find their configuration files as they were recreated elsewhere at start-up.
   - Lost Wi-Fi but after rebooting 2 times (presumably after a few patch installations or whatever) it came back. And now it works well... But I lost a couple hours trying to figure out what the heck...
   - Seems like my power management config were lost.

That said, I made 2 images of my drive on 2 separate hard drives before upgrading as I *never* trust any upgrade.

To summarize... Task Manager is now faster. : ) And I don't get to see the useless (for me) tiles at boot time.

Help4u

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I tried opening as administrator and it opened in just a second so big help there!