ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Weird issue with computer: Volume spontaneously going to 100% at random

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Hi folks.. I'm having a strange problem that I can't track down.

Recently my computer's volume has been jumping to 100% spontaneously.
I set it to some minimal volume, and then at some point (usually overnight) everything is super loud and i check it and the volume is back at 100%.

I'm thinking it must be some program doing it, but i can't figure out what.  Another alternative is a stuck key, but the random timing makes me think not.

Any ideas?

MilesAhead:
I'd try a full malwarebytes scan in case it's prankware.

Until you find the cause, if you have a pot on the speakers I'd put the hardware setting low and the software setting near the top to avoid sudden blare.

40hz:
I'd suspect prankware as previously suggested - or some program that has an audio alarm or notifier feature like a clock calendar or email app. I've seen that happen with a alarm clock app on my Nook. Every time it checks for an update it dimes my volume setting whether or not it updates. I think it may be the dev doing a CYA volume reset since it's usually better to be annoyed by a too loud alarm than not to hear it at all.

Also +1 w/Miles. If you have a hardware volume knob you're better off using that and just leave your system setting up all the way if it's not causing distortion. I hardly ever adjust speaker volume in software if I have a choice. Gimmee a knob any day!

Curt:
A short while I have had a similar problem, where Windows' various personal settings kept disappearing, because I didn't reboot Windows. After reboot, everything was okay.
 :-\

MilesAhead:
A short while I have had a similar problem, where Windows' various personal settings kept disappearing, because I didn't reboot Windows. After reboot, everything was okay.
 :-\

-Curt (August 26, 2014, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

On that note(pun intended) they also say if it's a Laptop and/or you fast boot/hybrid/hibernate all the time, it can be a good idea to do a full shutdown now and then.  Could be an old wives' tale.  But I do a full reboot on my Laptop periodically in case it's valid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version