ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Movie and Book Writing Thread

<< < (7/11) > >>

mouser:
I read through the "game rules" -- very interesting!! I didn't quite follow all of the resolution rules stuff, but I loved the idea of an AI being at the center of it.. So I take it this is kind of a role-playing game where the AI player makes up scenarios and guides play and decides subjectively how to tell and interesting story full of conflict?  I think the subject matter of colonizatio and survival is a fascinating one for an RPG.

wraith808:
I read through the "game rules" -- very interesting!! I didn't quite follow all of the resolution rules stuff, but I loved the idea of an AI being at the center of it.. So I take it this is kind of a role-playing game where the AI player makes up scenarios and guides play and decides subjectively how to tell and interesting story full of conflict?  I think the subject matter of colonizatio and survival is a fascinating one for an RPG.
-mouser (June 22, 2015, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you!  Yes, the AI is sort of the GM of the scenario, and I chose to make it as far away from Earth as possible in order to allow people to explore interesting stories that would otherwise be a bit touchy.  One of the ideas that I put in there that I love is the fact that the AI's decisions before the colonists get there might put them in a pickle, i.e. the ideal is no alternate intelligent life as a competitor to the biosphere... so the AI might have wiped the indigenous population out almost to extinction.  Exploring what the leaders do when that is found out would be an interesting question.

The AI represents everything else outside of the colonists conflicts within their schism- so everything else in the biosphere.  And the AI player does frame the scenarios- but the individual leaders set the resolution in order and decide whether to follow the idea that they want a functioning colony- or to grab for their own power even at the expense of the colony's well being.

And yes, I know I need more examples and refinement.  I wish I'd had more time before the actual deadline, but after the competition is over, I plan to refine it- I'm really enamored of the idea, and the kinds of stories that can be told within that framework.

bit:
quote: Now... time to drop the gears into grammar Nazi mode! ;)

Terms of engearment.  ;D

http://tvtropes.org/ is useful & entertaining.
For instance: Rule of Cool

Let's put this through the "Ren Test"  ;D

Here is a short section from a book I am writing, which I would love to get some opinions on :)
-Stephen66515 (August 29, 2014, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
^I had no idea Renegade was such a 'word Samurai'. :Thmbsup:
Not that I'm any judge, but don't stop writing.
The more you write, the better you get, pure and simple.

bit:
"Stand behind your work. Take into consideration people's criticism, but don't allow negative comments to bring you down, and make you doubt your abilities. If you have something to say, or a story to tell, just tell it. You can't please everyone, so if you feel good about it, then it's perfect." - Alena Parker

bit:
I'm not knocking the 'Ren test' at all and think it's way cool.  8)  :Thmbsup:
Bad punctuation is to be avoided at all costs.

On the comic relief side, may I offer Victor Borge's Phonetic Punctuation.

Personally, in pursuit of better writing, I would like to offer a method which I call simply 'headphone review'; play back what you've written paragraph by paragraph in text-to-speech on headphones or speakers, and see how it sounds.
As a general rule, if it plays well, it will read well. :)
I've caught more bad writing and typos that way.

I've become something of a 'minimalist' writer myself.
Whatever seems obvious or redundant, I try to weed it out.
For instance; 'He was wearing a black colored tee-shirt.'
Revised; 'He wore a black tee-shirt' ('colored' is self-evident and redundant).

And I've begun shying away from time-related words, such as now, suddenly, then, and so on.
The text just seems so much cleaner and clearer without them.

BTW, in compositional mode I write 'normally' with multi-sentence paragraphs, but when posting to DC, I prefer one sentence per line b/c it helps me with clearer thinking.
I'm also something of a compulsive reediting fanatic with my DC posts.  
In lieu of a 'signature' my posts always seem to say 'Last Edit:' at the bottom. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version