ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Update MS14-045 (KB 2993651) problems - Win8.1

<< < (2/2)

IainB:
Yes, thanks @cyberdiva, I think I should heed that advice too! I shall have to switch off auto-update first though. Bother. I thought that was such a good idea too - manually invoking an update seems so passé in this day and age. How was one to know know that MS would feed bad output into the auto-update? Maybe I've led a charmed life, but I don't recall them ever doing that before and advising you how to manually uninstall the update, and then sending out another buggy update to fix the former (as seems likely).
Maybe they lost the page in the ITIL Change Management manual where it talks about staged testing and then release...putting ßs out into live production is so 1980s.

IainB:
I just read the manual: Turn automatic updating on or off - Windows Help
Done.
So much for auto-updates.

40hz:
So much for auto-updates.
-IainB (September 01, 2014, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've found it's generally wiser if a little less convenient to allow them to notify you updates are available, but let you handle it from there.

FWIW I almost always wait a few days before I'll install the latest Microsoft updates. I'd rather let somebody else have the pleasure of being Redmond's guinea pig. At my age, the thrill is gone, ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version