ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Calibre 2 is out

<< < (4/6) > >>

Scott_Y:
The link (http://bayfiles.net/file/1iXSZ/Nweufd/tools_v6.0.9.zip) leads to an 440KB exe! Is it a downloader of the real thing, or will it destroy my pc and leave me bankrupted? Or does one really have to pay for a Premium account, in order to download the money-saving anti-drm extension? The problem could maybe be my browser not allowing some important popup telling me what I should have done.-Curt (August 24, 2014, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Curt, I'm sorry for your trouble trying to get the plugin for Calibre. The download page is very confusing; I even had trouble with it myself since my reply to you.

The BIG <Download> button is a decoy which leads to the executable file you got. The Calibre plugin is obtained via the SMALL <Premium download> button (which, as it turns out, does not require payment despite the misleading label). I regret that I did not know that when I posted my reply.

Having said that, note that the link describes how to install the plugin in Calibre, which would have alerted you to the fact that you had downloaded something different.

So to clarify for anyone interested in the DeDRM plugin for Calibre:
  1. Instructions are at http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/

2. The instructions say "The DRM removal plugin (DeDRM_plugin.zip) can be found in the tools archive linked from the most recent post in this blog."

3. Go to the most recent post in the "Posts" panel on the right. Currently that is "Tools v6.0.9 posted".

4. The current tools collection is "Tools_v6.0.9.zip", which contains several different tools for removing DRM. Among them is the Calibre plugin, found in its own folder in the archive.

5. The plugin is FREE. If you have to pay for your download, you got the wrong thing. See here http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/drm-removal-tools-for-ebooks/

I agree that this is an unnecessarily complicated way to obtain the plugin, and the hosted download page is intentionally deceiving. However, the plugin does work well once you finally find and install it. [EDIT: The download page is hosted, so not the direct responsibility of the authors of the plugin. Nevertheless, it is nasty to their users.]

Again, my apologies for the difficulties you experienced. I last downloaded it a year ago, and the layout changed since then.

Cuffy:
I've got troubles  :mad:
With this new Calibre 2 release I decided to upgrade my book library and move it to A Win8.1 machine from it's old spot on Win7/32 where it was housed in Calibre1.
I started discovering DRMed books in Calibre2 and I didn't think I had any encrypted books in the library  :huh:
Seeing the post from Scott regarding DeDRM I started playing around with that idea and discovered that the books in Calibre2 that are DRMed are not DRMed in Calibre1 on the Win7 machine. Some of these recents entries in the DRMed category are the old classics that have been in the public domain for years   >:(

How can a book not DRMed in Calibre1 on Win7 become DRMed in Calibre2 on Win8   :huh: :huh: :huh:
There's a whole helluva lot they didn't tell me when I signed on  :-[

Does anyone understand this or have the same problem?  :'(

Cuffy:
[How can a book not DRMed in Calibre1 on Win7 become DRMed in Calibre2 on Win8   huh huh huh/quote]

Apparently anything that Calibre 2 can't open it marks DRM   :huh:

I'm beginning to wonder why I installed Calibre  :D

--- End quote ---

Scott_Y:
Apparently anything that Calibre 2 can't open it marks DRM-Cuffy (August 28, 2014, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Strange, really strange. I never used Calibre 1, so I can't verify your experience one way or the other.

I wonder which direction it is going in: Calibre thinks the file is DRMed so it doesn't open it, or it can't open it, so it marks it DRM? Because it supposedly can open most anything, and could open them in Calibre 1, and the file types didn't change in your library, I think the second possibility is not likely.

Curt:
-apologies accepted, of course.
----------------------------------
Here is another way of answering:

"Here you are: tools_v6.0.9.zip (1773.79 kB - downloaded 522 times.)"

Installation
------------
Do NOT select "Get plugins to enhance calibre" as this is reserved for 'official' calibre plugins, instead select "Change calibre behavior" to go to Calibre's Preferences page.  Under "Advanced" click on the Plugins button. Use the "Load plugin from file" button to select the plugin's zip file (DeDRM_plugin.zip) and click the "Add" button. Click "Yes" in the the "Are you sure?" dialog. Click OK in the "Success" dialog.
--- End quote ---

Calibre 2.1 is out. Changes: http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version