ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy way to mark file as done?

<< < (3/5) > >>

tomos:
For my purposes at the moment, read-only is ideal:

* quick and visible by anyone anywhere
* if I (or someone else) decide the file needs more work, it simply gets replaced by a new version (they're PDF's created from working files) - this new version will not be read-only, so I can see at a glance what is unfinished /not-checked /not-approved-yet

Me think, "read-only" is a file attribute and could be set even by accident.

Wouldn't be renaming (adding a tag. e.g. a leading or trailing underscore)
or moving to a folder (e.g. sub folder "\Done") be a option?
Your used file managers would do that by a script from a button click or a keyboard shortcut.-AbteriX (August 22, 2014, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

renaming is not an option (in this case, I'd have to change the names back);
but simply moving to a sub-folder could be the easiest solution :up:
Funny how sometimes the easy ways are the ones you dont think of first :-\

I was thinking today though:
ideally I'd have and use a cross between an IM and a file manager, that is fully integrated with a commentable versioning backup system :-)

tomos:
Would not clearing the archive bit work, assuming your backuup method just copied everything without twiddling bits?
-MilesAhead (August 22, 2014, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought of that, and my backup (Syncovery) does allow *not* using it (I'll have to check what it does by default).
Any tips how I do that? (again, I searched unsuccessfully :-[)

MilesAhead:
Would not clearing the archive bit work, assuming your backuup method just copied everything without twiddling bits?
-MilesAhead (August 22, 2014, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought of that, and my backup (Syncovery) does allow *not* using it (I'll have to check what it does by default).
Any tips how I do that? (again, I searched unsuccessfully :-[)
-tomos (August 22, 2014, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless there's a freeware that makes it easy my thought would be a context menu to  a simple command line using attr command.  That way you could select multiple files and the Explorer would launch the command for each.  Perhaps a run hidden so the prompt wouldn't  flash.

Edit:  In fact a similar handler could be added for Folder to zap an entire folder in one shot.

Edit2:  I have a script I can modify that puts a handler inn the Registry for all files and folder.  It should work on both 32 and 64 bit systems.  It's hard coded for MD5Hash.exe but it's only a few lines o AutoIt3.  If you want to try that route I'll make it available.

Curt:
http://filemarker.net/
but a little expensive.

MilesAhead:
Rather than use my script this page shows the Registry key to use and how to add subkeys and values.

http://superuser.com/questions/392212/how-can-i-add-a-program-to-the-context-menu-of-all-files

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version