ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wordpress and Hackers

<< < (2/6) > >>

Renegade:
I've noticed a couple spikes in attacks lately. Lots of brute force attacks - useless - I don't even know my passwords - they're just insanely long.

ewemoa:
... but both of you are concentrating on the throwaway comment rather than the question?
-wraith808 (August 20, 2014, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Opinions similar to "not worth the trouble" are what I'm familiar with (though from experiences that are perhaps outdated) -- no good ideas regarding what the situation is like these days.

app103:
Have you considered the idea that they don't want to attack you? And that they don't have any idea that they are doing it? That they could be the victim of malware?

x16wda:
You could try to pull the relevant "responsible" entities by IP and/or domain and send a report to the abuse address, but my experience is that nothing will happen. So it really depends on how valuable you rate your time and how annoyed you get.

And that they don't have any idea that they are doing it?
-app103 (August 21, 2014, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Entirely possible, either through an infection on the attacker's box or through trying out a new malware construction set and turning it loose.

wraith808:
Have you considered the idea that they don't want to attack you? And that they don't have any idea that they are doing it? That they could be the victim of malware?
-app103 (August 21, 2014, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's possible.  But since all of the attacks originate from the same general area (the Ukraine), but not the same IP... is that likely?

You could try to pull the relevant "responsible" entities by IP and/or domain and send a report to the abuse address, but my experience is that nothing will happen. So it really depends on how valuable you rate your time and how annoyed you get.

-x16wda (August 21, 2014, 05:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is what I figured the answer would be.  I also feel like taking that route would be being 'part of the problem', i.e. no one reports... so what's the reporting system good for.  I've just not reported anyone in a while... so didn't know if the abuse reports had gotten any better in resolution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version