ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wi-Fi Turbocharge: The Future of Connectivity (From The Web)

(1/2) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
What’s the big deal? Speed. Speed and
throughput are the really big deals. And
while promises of Gigabit speeds may
seem overstated – or maybe unnecessary
right this minute – HD streaming media
and real-time video are becoming
commonplace, meaning it won’t be long
before you need that extra oomph.
--- End quote ---

Read Full Story: http://www.spiceworks.com/voit/reports/future-of-connectivity

SeraphimLabs:
Yep, its 802.11AC.

This is using uncharted water at nearly 80GHz as the carrier frequency, and has to use automated beam-forming technology to overcome the very high attention rate of such a high frequency. The very phenomena that makes it so if you move your device over 6 inches it goes from 4 bars to 2 can now be done on demand- and has been coupled with a system that will allow the signal to actually follow your device around to maintain connectivity.

Also while it is capable of gigabit per second wireless communication, in practice its actual performance will almost always be well below that.

I see a rather likely problem for adoption though.

A lot of 802.11AC access points require two or more gigabit ethernet links to prevent congestion, as the standard actually allows slightly higher than 1GB/s transfer speeds. For retrofitting an existing 802.11N or 802.11G installation, that means the switchport and cabling requirements are doubled unless 10GB/s ethernet over existing Cat5e and Cat6 cabling becomes available.

Yes this could be huge, but I have to be skeptical of it for a change on the grounds that it would require significant infrastructure upgrades and its field performance is likely to be only a fraction of its theoretical output.

Shades:
Higher frequencies are more easily stopped by most types of materials. Yes, the frequency band is less clouded...until everyone gets on board with this frequency. Can you imagine the fun when IoT starts hogging this frequency band as well?

To be honest, get me a cabled connection any day.

Renegade:
-Shades (August 20, 2014, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that!

40hz:
-Shades (August 20, 2014, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that!
-Renegade (August 21, 2014, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version