ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

High School Student Laptop Policy

<< < (2/6) > >>

Vurbal:
I expect any laptop provided by a school to come with the same privacy rights as the computer use in the classroom...pretty much none, with full logging and monitoring of everything the computer is used for.
-app103 (August 20, 2014, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is exactly why I would tell my kids' school that any district provided laptop is not coming in my house. It's none of their business what goes on under my roof and insisting on monitoring activity which does is an unlawful invasion of privacy.

Also, unless they're going to cover the insurance themselves, they're not handing one to either of my remaining school age kids. That's so far over the line it's not even funny. If you don't have enough money to pay for the insurance, you don't have enough to institute the program in the first place.

Also, don't send me a bill for bus insurance when my kid goes on a field trip or ask me to chip in extra for the custodians' salaries.

x16wda:
I expect any laptop provided by a school ...
-app103 (August 20, 2014, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for your whole post!!

40hz:
any district provided laptop is not coming in my house. It's none of their business what goes on under my roof and insisting on monitoring activity which does is an unlawful invasion of privacy.
-Vurbal (August 20, 2014, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

This. Along with everything in app103's post. :Thmbsup:

4wd:
Albeit the terms are somewhat brief but they don't seem to preclude the following:

1) any needed material/documents are copied from/to a flash drive at the start/end of every day, and
2) the laptop is to remain at the school at all times, the responsibility for its safety is the schools concern.

Mind you, when I went to school you were still allowed to use a pen, paper, slide rule, and calculators were sometimes banned from tests - so anything I know about today's so-called education system is a bit out of date. :)

Stoic Joker:
Mind you, when I went to school you were still allowed to use a pen, paper,...-4wd (August 20, 2014, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hell even now when I go onsite I consistently move the tablet I carry out of the way so I can use a pad of paper under it to take notes ... It just seems faster to me.

But on topic: The local school that I've been working with for the last few months had a system that allowed any school supplied student's machine to be directly accessed and monitored in real time. I say had, because the new admin that I've been working with there had the whole system torn out by the roots because (And I quote directly) "It's just to creepy".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version