ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anybody else sick of hearing "OMG Facebook is spying on us!"?

<< < (3/4) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
As an addition to the above...how hard would it be to do the following example?:

(Current Permission): Take pictures and videos: This permission allows you to take photos and videos within the Messenger app to easily send to your friends and other contacts.

(Proposed Revision or Additional Permission): Take pictures and videos: This permission allows you to take photos and videos within the Messenger app to easily send to your friends and other contacts when explicitly requested by the end-user ONLY.

So basically...in your applications manifest, instead of having  
--- Code: Text ---<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" /> you would have something like  
--- Code: Text ---<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERABYREQUEST" />

Deozaan:
The real solution would be to allow users to deny permissions on a permission-by-permission basis (per app), so that if I didn't want Facebook to have access to my GPS, I could simply deny the location permission and anytime it tried to access the GPS, it would simply get an OS-level error/denial and be unable to get info from the GPS.

Then they (Facebook) could request all the permissions they wanted, and all I'd grant them is the ability to talk to the internets to deliver me my LOLcats and family photos.  :Thmbsup:

I believe that Cyanogenmod has or is working on implementing this feature.

KynloStephen66515:
The real solution would be to allow users to deny permissions on a permission-by-permission basis (per app), so that if I didn't want Facebook to have access to my GPS, I could simply deny the location permission and anytime it tried to access the GPS, it would simply get an OS-level error/denial and be unable to get info from the GPS.

Then they could request all the permissions they wanted, and all I'd grant them is the ability to talk to the internets to deliver me my LOLcats and family photos.  :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (August 19, 2014, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do agree with this actually...However, it should give detailed explanations of the features that will no longer work when you remove a permission (Because...well...people are idiots).

However...where would be the issue with implementing both ideas?  Allow people like Facebook to only be able to use the Camera when the user requests...but they can also deny the permission forever (or at least until they re-enable it).

OR...you could even go as far as defaulting all Android phones to have security popups much like UAC in Windows...so when an app requests permission to use Feature X, the user would be then informed and asked to choose Yes or No.

Renegade:
As an addition to the above...how hard would it be to do the following example?:

(Current Permission): Take pictures and videos: This permission allows you to take photos and videos within the Messenger app to easily send to your friends and other contacts.

(Proposed Revision or Additional Permission): Take pictures and videos: This permission allows you to take photos and videos within the Messenger app to easily send to your friends and other contacts when explicitly requested by the end-user ONLY.

--- Code: Text ---<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" /> you would have something like 
--- Code: Text ---<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERABYREQUEST" />-Stephen66515 (August 19, 2014, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

My guess is that this might be tough to implement if a user action can be spoofed, which is pretty normal stuff to do.

I can only think of hardware buttons working here, which would muck up the UX.

KynloStephen66515:

--- Code: Text ---<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERABYREQUEST" />-Stephen66515 (August 19, 2014, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

My guess is that this might be tough to implement if a user action can be spoofed, which is pretty normal stuff to do.

I can only think of hardware buttons working here, which would muck up the UX.
-Renegade (August 19, 2014, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't think it would be easy to implement as such, the idea was simply to throw some ideas in the pond for ways it could actually be made more sane :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version