ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Frustrated Mom Creates ‘Ignore No More’ App To Get Teen Kids To Return Calls

<< < (8/9) > >>

tomos:
Dunno. You see it or you don't. Or maybe it's just me? That seems to be the consensus, so I think I'm gonna drop it before it starts going in circles.-40hz (August 19, 2014, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

if we were having this conversation in a pub, you would have to buy at least the next two rounds :P

40hz:
Dunno. You see it or you don't. Or maybe it's just me? That seems to be the consensus, so I think I'm gonna drop it before it starts going in circles.-40hz (August 19, 2014, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

if we were having this conversation in a pub, you would have to buy at least the next two rounds :P
-tomos (August 19, 2014, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I were sitting in a pub, I wouldn't be having this conversation.  ;) :P :P

(I'm also pretty good about buying a round or two either way.) 8)

Renegade:
So again, just what special magic makes a person automatically qualified to raise a child just by virtue of their contributing an egg or sperm cell to the equation?
-40hz (August 19, 2014, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

What special magic makes the state capable?  What special magic makes *anyone* capable?

It's at least a start if you can include love in the equation, which is more likely than if you go the other way.

So what are you arguing?   :huh:
-wraith808 (August 19, 2014, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

^ This.

@40hz - I'm not sure what you're implying, but you seem to be implying that being the state somehow "magically grants unassailable wisdom and the absolute knowing "what's best" for the living product of" other people's sexual intercourse. (That's overly harsh as I said basically that about parents & children - the strawman is just for dramatic effect. :) )

You go on about the state here:

But we do! All the time. You don't drive until a certain age. You can't be out on certain nights of the week after a certain hour if you're under a certain age. You can't go to certain entertainments or watch certain films or play certain games until you reach what somebody else has determined is an "appropriate" age. You become eligible for military service at a given age regardless of how 'ready' your parent feels you are. You attend school on certain days at certain hours or face prosecution for truancy - along with your parents in some cases. There are so-called "juvenile courts" for dealing with seriously "troubled children." And laws that don't take full effect until you are no longer deemed a minor. None of these are based on a parent's consent or determination of their offspring's maturity. Schools look for signs of physical and emotional abuse - and are required by law to report any suspicions of same to the state's "child & family" authorities for investigation and possible legal action. And where does rearing and disciplining cross the line into the realm of abuse? The state authorities get the final word on that one.
-40hz (August 19, 2014, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

But before even getting to the stage of assigning any right of the state to interfere in the raising of children, I would first ask what magical pixie dust gives the state any right to anything the state claims at all? Consent of the governed? How about when people don't consent? I don't admit any legitimacy or authority for the state at all, so that ends that for me. But that's probably a tangent best left alone.

If we want to simply deal in "what is", it is the case that "parents are", and parents are the natural guardians of their children.

If anyone actually does want to talk about the state and children... hehehe... reality is grim.

Children five times more likely to die from physical abuse and eleven times more likely to be sexually abused under state “child protection” care

America's dead children and Child Protective Services

Child Protective Services (CPS) – a Broken and Flawed System

Foster Homes: Where Good Kids Go To Die (Includes a good list of references.)

Some statistics revealed in the video show that foster kids are:

* 7-8 times more likely to be abused
* more likely to end up homeless with nearly half becoming homeless at the age of 18
* 3 times more likely to be put on psychotropic drugs
* 7 times more likely to develop an eating disorder
* more likely to have PTSD than veterans of war and less likely to recover from that PTSD
* more likely to become pregnant as a teenager
* 20% more likely to be arrested
* 6 times more likely to die
than if they stayed in an abusive household.
--- End quote ---

Carlos Morales is a former CPS investigator turned whistleblower. There are a good number of interviews & whatnot with him out there where he goes through just how bad CPS is.

The same can be found with people screaming about the state kidnapping children in the UK.

Again, what magical pixie dust makes the state more capable than parents? Or maybe it was an ogre club...

40hz:
^Didn't say it was more qualified. Just said it intervenes. Routinely. With the blessings of many of the parents more often than not. Largely because many parents won't trust themselves or their peers to raise kids responsibly. I'm not advocating for government involvement. I'm just responding to the "nobody/ever/period" part of an earlier comment of yours by me saying "Fine. But unfortunately, that's not how it works in practice."

Anyway, I'm done with the topic. Feelings are running a little too high - and I've pretty much said all I have to say about it already. So I'll shut up and let some other people talk for a change.  NFNF  :)

app103:

* 7-8 times more likely to be abused
* more likely to end up homeless with nearly half becoming homeless at the age of 18
* 3 times more likely to be put on psychotropic drugs
* 7 times more likely to develop an eating disorder
* more likely to have PTSD than veterans of war and less likely to recover from that PTSD
* more likely to become pregnant as a teenager
* 20% more likely to be arrested
* 6 times more likely to die-Renegade (August 19, 2014, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

It may be anecdotal, but I'll vouch for the truthfulness in this.  :(

But getting back to what qualifies parents to raise their kids, I have to ask what qualifies dogs to care for their own puppies and cats to care for their own kittens, for that matter?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version