ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Frustrated Mom Creates ‘Ignore No More’ App To Get Teen Kids To Return Calls

<< < (3/9) > >>

Renegade:
...oftentimes our children do not think
-Edvard (August 17, 2014, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Guilty.

Because I did it as a kid, and I have to admit, some of those things were an awful lot of fun; but I can honestly say that in most cases I did not think through the consequences before doing it. 
--- End quote ---

You're not alone.

Anyone care to count how many times they put themselves in **stupid** situations where they could have easily been killed? ;)

My mother would have had an instant heart attack if she knew where I was and what I was up to, because she loved me dearly and wanted to continue seeing me in one piece for as long as possible. 
That's NOT an unreasonable desire on the part of any parent. 
--- End quote ---

+1

You don't point electronic surveillance/control technology at a loved one. At least not in my school of ethics.
-40hz (August 17, 2014, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps it might be better thought of as, "I bought this device for you to use. The next thing it is going to be used for is to call me."

wraith808:
^Don't think so. Re-read it again. ;)

This is being advanced in the name of "the children." ;D
-40hz (August 17, 2014, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

She didn't make a new android device.  She made an app.  And apps are limited by ... the device it is on.  She just programmed it to do something different.  The technology was already there.

“We need to develop an app that just shuts their phone completely down and they can’t even use it,” Standifird said. “And I started — literally just started researching how to develop an app.”

--- End quote ---

Now who needs to read it again? ;)

Perhaps it might be better thought of as, "I bought this device for you to use. The next thing it is going to be used for is to call me."
-Renegade (August 17, 2014, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly.

app103:
My daughter is 28, and she doesn't call me back when I call her. She won't even listen to the voicemail. She drops everything and rushes home to find out what is wrong.  ;D

She knows I would never call her unless it was some sort of emergency. She knows this from years of living with me, just how much I hate phones and won't use one unless I have to.

See, if you pester your kids (or anyone else) too much, it's like crying wolf, and they stop responding. Save it for when it really counts.

Just because your kids and you are so well connected through technology, doesn't mean you can't give them the space and trust they need. Yeah, sure they will do dumb stuff. You can't stop that. Better that they do the dumb stuff while they still have you around to help them learn not to do it again, than to have you hovering over them every moment of every day, removing every opportunity for them to learn how to be independent, mature human beings, because you are afraid they will do all the stupid things you did. You learned your lesson, and they will too...in time...but only if they are allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

tomos:
How do I know that?  Because I did it as a kid
--- End quote ---

@E - I think that's a case of YMMV. Something that varies from family to family. That sort of thing hasn't been an issue in my family. Maybe it's luck. But we don't happen to think so. We like to think it's more how we bring our kids up. And our approach may not work for everybody since each family situation is different. So it goes.-40hz (August 17, 2014, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm (still) in the odd position of agreeing with your recommendations, but being a bit overwhelmed by your attitude.

1) we dont get to choose our parents (I dont think anyways). If you got to grow up in a 'good' family, that's something you can be thankful about.
2) most parents do their best; if the parents have flaws, the children in turn tend to try and correct them in the next generation - of course this can be a bit 'reactionary' e.g. going from over-disciplined to being too lax, etc. etc.

Gwen7:
it's important to teach American children to accept electronic surveillance and coercion as early as possible. this misguided app will certainly help do that. :-(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version