ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

IBM develops a computer chip with one million 'neurons' that 'functions like a h

<< < (2/2)

SeraphimLabs:
Just being able to create synaptic mesh networks does not make a functional intelligence.

Although we know what the human gray matter is made of, we don't have anywhere near a complete mapping of its connectivity to use as a template for intelligences.

Developing artificial intelligence using these new synaptic chips is going to be a bit of a guessing game for quite some time until someone finally stumbles into it.

However, I see one very radical application right off the top- Prosthetics.

Right now we are just starting to be able to interface the human body directly to electronic constructs and use that to control motion in a natural manner.

If you used a synaptic design as the computing device in such a prosthetic device, it would be possible for the device to learn the user's behavior and adjust its output accordingly to be as lifelike and natural-fitting as their original limb would have been.

This also opens up the possiblity of more and more sophisticated prosthetics, replacing even sections of the eyes and ears or perhaps the entire lower body by using the synaptic learning ability to train the prosthetic to respond to its wearer's thoughts and neural impulses.

It seems that the age of cybernetics is about to begin at last.

Renegade:
Just being able to create synaptic mesh networks does not make a functional intelligence.

Although we know what the human gray matter is made of, we don't have anywhere near a complete mapping of its connectivity to use as a template for intelligences.

Developing artificial intelligence using these new synaptic chips is going to be a bit of a guessing game for quite some time until someone finally stumbles into it.
-SeraphimLabs (August 13, 2014, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a fascinating field. Roger Penrose argued in "The Emperor's New Mind" that AI was a pipe dream in the sense of actual consciousness.

But, who knows?

MilesAhead:
Strosser used this quote in the beginning of Accelerando

The question of whether Machines Can Think... is about as relevant as the question of whether Submarines Can Swim.

Dijkstra (1984) The threats to computing science (EWD898)

I never thought of it quite that way.  :)

I have about 70 pages left to read.

kunkel321:
You mean like Replicators from Star Gate? :D
-Renegade (August 13, 2014, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
  Yep.  That's where I was headed!   :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version