ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

R.I.P. Robin Williams

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
I wasn't a huge fan of Robin Williams -- though I do acknowledge his unique contributions to comedy.

This was helpful for me in understanding the deep connection many felt towards him: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/12/robin_williams_on_wtf_with_marc_maron_a_powerful_interview_that_changed.html

That article links to a nice hour long interview with Williams.

MilesAhead:
I haven't been able to find the video.  But I remember on a Dick Cavett show Cavett and Robin Williams were standing directly in front of the audience improvising.  I think Cavett's first comment was his last.  Williams came out with so many oblique references so quickly that by the time Cavett started to move his lips to get a quip in it was moot since the subject had already been changed twice.  Finally Cavett just closed his mouth and turned purple.  It was like Dick Cavett was the lawn and Williams mowed him and bagged the clippings before Cavett could get a line out.  It was uncomfortable to watch.
But I guess competition among comics is tough.  When you get the floor you filibuster.

He surprised me in Good Will Hunting.  He made that part of the plot work.  It's always a bit weird when I watch that flick since it has a couple of exterior shots right outside the room where I lived in South Boston.  But I moved out 5 years before they made the film.

Stoic Joker:
He surprised me in Good Will Hunting.  He made that part of the plot work.  It's always a bit weird when I watch that flick since it has a couple of exterior shots right outside the room where I lived in South Boston.  But I moved out 5 years before they made the film.-MilesAhead (August 13, 2014, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

He was also great as a serial killer in One Hour Photo, and he was brilliant in What Dreams May Come.

MilesAhead:
I don't think I saw either of those flicks.  I'll watch if I get a chance.

wraith808:
He was also great as a serial killer in One Hour Photo
-Stoic Joker (August 13, 2014, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was during the time when he was really letting the dark side out.

Insomnia

One Hour Photo

Death to Smoochy

One wonders about the year 2002 for him...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version