ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Ludum Dare 30: August 22-25, 2014

<< < (5/11) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Here's a  nice one!
Linker
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=25969

The basics are easy to learn - you draw lines between planets to form defense lines to stop missiles. As people have said, it's a variant on Tower Defense but with geometry instead of firing stuff at monsters.

Playability tip - for me starting at level 5, I couldn't figure out how to block a bunch of missiles from the bottom. That's because part of my play screen was scrolled out of sight. Fiddle with scrolling out and/or resolution. There's no super secret trick. I only figured it out because I checked the Bro webcast and they had an extra planet on their screen.

Rated Phoenix Medium-Hard with the following tips below.
- *Really* check your angles and gauge the speeds of the missiles and try to make your defense lines do double duty blocking two sets of missles.
- You *can* let a very few through, so you have to plan some fast strategy. So stuff like there may be a couple missiles left in a wave, re-draw the line to stop the next real threat.
- I had to re-draw lines back and forth really fast a few times because sometimes you can swap two sets of defense lines against paired sets  of hordes. Remember, check your angles. So I remember one case where missiles had to travel across the whole screen, which meant they're "next second's threat, not this second's."

Stuff like that.

The levels move pretty quick, including dying in five seconds! And even when you win they move at a good clip. I beat the game, but I can easily see how someone could get jammed up.

Here's part of level 7:

Ludum Dare 30: August 22-25, 2014

TaoPhoenix:
Okay, that's it for now!

Deozaan:
I caught up with this, and it's a cute little puzzle game!-TaoPhoenix (September 23, 2014, 12:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your review of my game! It was really nice to hear a more thorough review. I appreciate your feedback. :)

TaoPhoenix:
Hey Deozaan!

For your next Ludum Dare, what if you made a game starring Cody and Baby Cody?
Whee!

:Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
That would be fun... Except I am not good at art, and I don't have the kind of things I'd need. Like a fully rigged/animated 3D model of Cody & Baby Cody. Or fully animated sprite sheets of Cody & Baby Cody.

And it's hard to have those in advance when you don't know the theme, and thus don't know what kind of game you'll end up making until it's time to make it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version