ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a project time tracker/nag tool that keeps me writing billable notes

<< < (2/9) > >>

tomos:
And to add a tool that's been mentioned here before (and I've had it installed for eons, but hardly ever actually, actively, use) Manic Time
IMHO it has the features you ask for, though I've not investigated much.-Ath (August 08, 2014, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've not used Manic Time, but looking at a feature summary, it, and TitleLog - that I mentioned above - both prompt you to 'explain' what you were doing if away from the computer.

Like David.P, I'd like to keep better track of what exactly I'm doing, also within individual projects. I like the idea of being prompted when leaving a window - what exactly was I doing there?
When I think about it, in my case I could be working on any number of aspects of a job within the same file/window, so maybe something like Anuran that pops up every X minutes would be the thing for me...

David.P:
True, however I like the idea of being prompted when leaving a window
--- End quote ---
is not exactly it. I can "leave a window" about two times a minute...

I'd really need a prompt only every so often, and typically only if the time tracking tool would recognize un-typical activity like for example after I have changed a lot between windows that HAVE the project ID and windows that DON'T have the project ID in their titlebar -- which in my case would indicate that I was researching something (project-related) on the web.

wraith808:
Maybe TimeSprite is what you're looking for.  I used it when I was contracting, and it really helped out a lot.

Other programs I tried and they just didn't work for me were:

SnapLogger - Screenshots every so often but then you have to categorize.

yaTimer - Very pretty interface and reports.  But you have to get it set up, which was my problem.

David.P:
Thanks for the tip with TimeSprite. This TimeSprite records the titles of the active window as you work, and intelligently groups similar titles to report how you spent your time
--- End quote ---
...sounds good since it probably would detect web research based on the browser's window titles.

David.P:
I have looked now at about three dozen project time trackers, but I've come to the impression that I seem to be about the only person who simply includes unique project numbers into the NAMES of ALL files of any given project, in order to easily and automatically track my time spent in those projects with a simple titlebar-aware tracker :huh:

Almost ALL tools and suites I found are not project-based but application-based  :down:

"It is so great to be able see how much time you spent on Facebook or in Outlook..."

Can't believe it...

Anyway, thanks for any additional ideas and tips you guys might have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version