ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wikimedia refuses to remove animal selfie because monkey ‘owns’ the photo

<< < (7/7)

Stoic Joker:
It's almost like that same short-sighted venture capital goal of an early "cash-out" has come to the art and creative world. That mindset has hurt business. Because there's no longer a long-term goal to actually build sustainable business. Just to get them to where they can be sold. Then, take the money and move on.-40hz (August 10, 2014, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

This!

To my mind, our biggest problem with IP is that, in order to have a fair and workable copyright law, we need to apply common sense. And laws and the legal system generally aren't about common sense. They're about complex definitions and tortuous semantic arguments. And an entire professional industry and branch of the government has been built upon it. And they employ tens of thousands of clever well-heeled individuals whose very livelihood is dependent upon things remaining the way they are.-40hz (August 10, 2014, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

And This IMO is why the now archaic practice of trying to make a truly quality product has been replaced with the inane quest to rush to market with something "Good Enough".

Good enough to me is a road side repair in the middle of nowhere at midnight. It's just a Band-Aid to limp home on. A quality product OTOH is when you are willing without hesitation to toss the product of your work into a hairpin corner at 100+MPH and bet your life on the outcome.

Edvard:
It's almost like that same short-sighted venture capital goal of an early "cash-out" has come to the art and creative world. That mindset has hurt business. Because there's no longer a long-term goal to actually build sustainable business. Just to get them to where they can be sold. Then, take the money and move on.-40hz (August 10, 2014, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
AHA!  So that's why there have been so many web services that only existed to irritate their competition into buying them out, while short-selling their customers/users in the interim. 
>:( >:( >:(

40hz:
^Exactly right. Those are called "nuisance startups."  :Thmbsup:

I suspect most tech startups these days are created with the sole intent of being bought out as quickly as possible. Hardly anybody seems to be interested in actually running a business they're creating these days. A quick cash-out is the new name of the game.

40hz:
I think you meant:

take the money and move on run.
-40hz (August 10, 2014, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

;)  :Thmbsup:
-Renegade (August 10, 2014, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

No. Take the money and move on - to the next one.

These people aren't about to run any time soon. No pig ever quits their favorite trough voluntarily if there's even a single mouthful of swill still up for grabs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version