ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Russian hackers steal 1.2B passwords

<< < (2/3) > >>

dantheman:
Oh! 40hz, are you ever serious?

And yet, someone today told me: "I wonder how many passwords the NSA has managed to get so far?"

40hz:
Oh! 40hz, are you ever serious?-dantheman (August 06, 2014, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm never more serious then when I am joking. (And I get a lot of complaints about that too.) ;) ;D

And yet, someone today told me: "I wonder how many passwords the NSA has managed to get so far?"

--- End quote ---

My guess would be very very very many of them - not that passwords are all that secure with the cracking tools they’ve got these days. :tellme:

Deozaan:
In total, more than 420,000 web and FTP sites were robbed.
--- End quote ---

Robbed? :huh:

We really have to come up with a better word to describe digital "theft" that leaves the original unharmed and intact. If someone stole my refrigerator by making an exact copy of it and leaving me with my own copy... would I really care? Would I consider it theft?

tomos:
--- End quote ---

We really have to come up with a better word to describe digital "theft" that leaves the original unharmed and intact. If someone stole my refrigerator by making an exact copy of it and leaving me with my own copy... would I really care? Would I consider it theft?
-Deozaan (August 08, 2014, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I get your point, but,
in this case, it could depend on whether they could empty your copy of the fridge, or not :-\

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

-Deozaan (August 08, 2014, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I get your point, but,
in this case, it could depend on whether they could empty your copy of the fridge, or not :-\
-tomos (August 08, 2014, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

True. My point was more about how "digital piracy" isn't actually theft. "Stolen" passwords definitely present a much bigger risk of personal loss than a "stolen" digital movie.

Even so, if someone "steals" the combination to your safe, nothing has been stolen until they use the combination to open your safe and steal the contents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version