ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Everyone is brokenhearted.

<< < (5/5)

Tuxman:
Not sure if media like the Telegraph should talk about that without any irony.

Renegade:
-Tuxman (August 13, 2014, 10:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it bleeds, it leads.

40hz:
^And people seldom change the channel at the commercial break as long as they're pissed off about something they just saw, according to a TV producer I know.

And the sad thing is, he hates playing that game as much as the rest of us.

IainB:
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---
If it bleeds, it leads.
-Renegade (August 13, 2014, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh absolutely. In fact, possibly not so much "irony" as hypocrisy, I would suggest, but that does not necessarily negate per se any valid points that might be made in the article.
I posted the link in here because of its relevance - it seemed to be another, better articulated and more in-depth view and reflection of my statement:
...Up to that point, I had been smiling a lot at the rant, but I draw the line at cynical attempts to gain access to my agreement by invoking such things.
-IainB (August 07, 2014, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

If one does that in a time of war - i.e., cynically, for commercial purposes, makes capital out of the idea of, or invokes images of dismembered children's bodies - then one is arguably not "brokenhearted" but broken in spirit, because the potential externalities and societal implications are altogether disregarded by the perpetrator.
That would be similar to (say) the externality of waterways being polluted by a carpet manufacturer's effluent (e.g., an environmental "footprint"), with the difference being in the subtlety of the effects on the mostly unseen/intangible environment of human perception and limbic response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version