ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Everyone is brokenhearted.

<< < (2/5) > >>

tomos:
I think the cause of the malaise is much simpler.  Think back to when you were a kid skipping down the street.  You were happy for no particular reason.  In fact it was your default state of mind.  Adults smiled to see you skipping along so care free.

Then one day as you skipped along you encountered a tall man in a gray suit with gray felt hat.  He gave you such a disgusted look.  You slow down in reaction.  Then the gray man says "You are tool old to be skipping" all mean and nasty.

[...]

The only way to turn back the clock on the downfall [...] is to go back in time and skip down the street no matter what anyone thinks or says about it!-MilesAhead (August 04, 2014, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

sounds good to me :up:

IainB:
Interesting post.
I'm a bit vague about who Kim Kardashian is. I mean, I've heard/seen the name, but have no real idea who/what she is known for - though I suppose I learned a little by reading this discussion thread just now. Nor would I care to know more, as she is apparently part of the sort of moronic TV pseudo-culture that I avoid spending my cognitive surplus on. It's by choice.
I just don't really "watch" TV. Oh, I sat up last night cuddling my daughter and watching the latest "Total Recall" movie with her. I hadn't realised they had made a newer version after Arnold S' one (which I thought was pretty good). I was able to describe some of the main differences to "We can remember it for you wholesale" by P.K.Dick, to my daughter, and we decided we would rent out the Arnie version video for comparison, as she is studying SF at the moment and was interested in the story.
I would not have watched it if my wife had not told me that there was a children's movie just about to begin that she thought I might like. She's usually right.
Whilst the adverts were on, my daughter was fiercely scrolling through the channels, so we were watching bits of hockey (at the Commonwealth Games), some NZ rugby match, and a nondescript movie that she rather liked (I mentally tuned out on the latter, going into my own thoughts where I was preoccupied trying to figure out a perplexing problem using Excel pivot tables, so don't recall the name of the movie or anything about it).
After she went to bed, I stayed up stuck in front of the TV watching a new (2nd?) sequel to Underworld that I hadn't known they'd made. I always rather liked Underworld 1 and 2, but this sequel was a bit of a disappointment. I guess they have almost exhausted its possibilities. Like all those Planet of The Apes sequels and TV serials.
After that there was a painfully slow sort of drama-horror movie called "The River" which was riveting enough to send me to sleep, so I missed the ending. When I looked it up on IMDB just now, I couldn't find anything about it, so maybe I got the name wrong. Anyway, it was about a mother and son and a TV crew going up an Amazon river in search of the husband/father, who had been a famous explorer and had disappeared seven years previously looking for "magic".

Stoic Joker:
I'm a bit vague about who Kim Kardashian is. I mean, I've heard/seen the name, but have no real idea who/what she is known for
-IainB (August 04, 2014, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

You just answered your own question. She is one of those people who is described as being famous for being famous ... Because they have exactly zero actual accomplishments. Kind of like Paris Hilton, who outside of the infamous video...never did a damn thing worth noticing. Yet she is (or was) in the news constantly for doing what exactly? Nothing. Oh look there is who-gives-a-shit doing who-gives-a-shit again!! ...Quick get a photo!!!

*Sigh*

40hz:
I think the cause of the malaise is much simpler.  Think back to when you were a kid skipping down the street.  You were happy for no particular reason.  In fact it was your default state of mind.  Adults smiled to see you skipping along so care free.

Then one day as you skipped along you encountered a tall man in a gray suit with gray felt hat.  He gave you such a disgusted look.  You slow down in reaction.  Then the gray man says "You are tool old to be skipping" all mean and nasty.

From that day on your life sucked.  You worried about things that never bothered you before.  Well I'm here to tell you that was no accident.  The gray man is no ordinary person.  He's a time traveler and his mission is to conduct hostile psychological operations against the middle class people of The United States.

Being from the future he could see that it was only necessary to spoil the childhoods of the middle class kids to generate the impetus for all the wars, famines, depressions, inflationary periods etc that sapped the resources of the middle class.

The only way to turn back the clock on the downfall of the middle class is to go back in time and skip down the street no matter what anyone thinks or says about it!

-MilesAhead (August 04, 2014, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Funny thing about skipping...

When I was in HS, we had to go from one school building to another for some of our classes. Since there were only 5 minutes between classes (and you got disciplined if you were late) most of us used to run.

There was a day when me and a buddy (a real character by the name of George) started out across this huge lawn between two of the buildings trying to make our Chem-II  class on the 4th floor of the hall we were heading towards, when I muttered something about "might as well skip." George looked at me for a second, linked his left arm in my right and said, "C'mon E-man - SKIP!).

We did.

Cleared the distance in record time. Not even breathing hard at the end of it. (Turns out skipping is very efficient form of locomotion for a biped.)

We had about 20 fellow classmates behind us. Their only comment was "You two were really bookin' it!"

Next day half of us skipped to Chem class.

The day after, we all did.

Then the practice of what came to be called "skip truckin'"spread to most of the other 600 or so students in the school.

Skipping became "most cool" because:

* It actually got the job done efficiently
* It looked truly stupid
* It started to drive the faculty and administration crazy. (Especially when people started bringing it indoors - which resulted in a threatened detention penalty for anyone caught skipping in the halls.)
The first two points above made it a win.

But getting a reaction from "The Man" elevated it to being "epic." ;D

Not much more to say about skipping except:

IainB:
...She is one of those people who is described as being famous for being famous ... Because they have exactly zero actual accomplishments. Kind of like Paris Hilton...
-Stoic Joker (August 04, 2014, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah! Thanks. That also answers another Q I had - I never could figure out what P Hilton had done to warrant media attention.
It also reminded me of the joke about Hamish the house-builder, so I just posted it in the humour section.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version