ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Bleep… Bittorrent unveils serverless & encrypted chat client

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
I so hope you are wrong. That's just utterly depressing.
-Renegade (August 03, 2014, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

For the record, I am utterly depressed about all of this.

And I so hope that I'm wrong too! :(

Still, if you expect and plan for the worst - but hope for the best - you can usually drag yourself through yet another day.

And who knows? Maybe that damned horse will talk after all...;)

Stoic Joker:
Y'know...if I were in power, I'd probably covertly be encouraging efforts like Bleep and Tor. And the more, the better. It defuses some of the geek outrage - and ties up some very smart and dedicated people (and money) who might otherwise be causing all kinds of problems for me. So let all these brainy types (most of whom will do anything to avoid dealing with an actual person) code to their heart's content. Because in this scenario, the only thing better than my opposition not having a good solution, is having them put their trust in a broken one...
-40hz (August 03, 2014, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I so hope you are wrong. That's just utterly depressing.-Renegade (August 03, 2014, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yet I suspect we both know he's right.

I'm still hopeful and cheering for the cryptoanarchists out there. -Renegade (August 03, 2014, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

As do I ... But a little piece of me died - Part of my inner child that still clings to silly things like 'Hope' - when Anonymous went under.

IainB:
I thought the Bleep invite was was interesting.
Reminded me of the original "Speak Freely", which had 2 versions - with or without encryption - it's here (plus the source) - click to access SpeakFreely v7.6a.zip

Deozaan:
Cool!

But if there's no central server, how does the client know where to find other peers?
-Deozaan (August 02, 2014, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's P2P, so it's using peers to communicate that information.-Renegade (August 02, 2014, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I mean, how do the peers know how to find each other? How does my computer know to connect to someone on the other side of the world unless we both connect to a central server that tells us the other person is running the client?

IainB:
Cool!

But if there's no central server, how does the client know where to find other peers?
-Deozaan (August 02, 2014, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's P2P, so it's using peers to communicate that information.-Renegade (August 02, 2014, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
I mean, how do the peers know how to find each other? How does my computer know to connect to someone on the other side of the world unless we both connect to a central server that tells us the other person is running the client?
-Deozaan (August 04, 2014, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
You would have to communicate your IP addresses to each other first. That's how SpeakFreely works, anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version