ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Celluloid vs digital: what are the REAL differences?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Edvard:
It's not the tools. It's the artist.
--- End quote ---
But when the artist depends on the tools to make up for lack of talent/creativity/hubris/etc. or the artist is schooled by the engineer that "that's what the listener wants to hear", you get things like the "Loudness Wars" and artificial aliasing added to master recordings because we now have a generation of music fans acoustically weaned on 128k mp3s  :-\

40hz:
...we now have a generation of music fans acoustically weaned on 128k mp3s  :-\
-Edvard (August 08, 2014, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

This! :Thmbsup:

And because of that, so much of what I was trained to strive for just went out the door. Because you'll never be able to hear it with most modern music reproduction tech.

Which is why I think live performance attendance is at an all time high. You can still hear the difference there. And the audiences can tell the difference even if they don't have the knowledge and vocabulary to say exactly what the difference is.

But they don't need. to. They can hear it. ;)

Renegade:
Unless, of course, you actually like that sort of thing. No accounting for taste, but far be it from me to tell somebody what they should be listening to or watching.
-40hz (August 08, 2014, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. But...

But if you want somebody else to experience it, it's a little more complicated.
--- End quote ---

Yes. Much more so. But...

The audience has rights too.
--- End quote ---

Which are to stay or go now. :)

The audience has no rights beyond deciding whether or not to be a part of the audience. They have no right to dictate what an artist does, or how an artist does it. We have a word for forced labour - slavery. ;)

They have a vote with their money & feet. Artists that want money from their audience are aware and will cater to that.

It's not all about the artist once you take it public.
--- End quote ---

Yes.

Successful artists can be true to themselves and still deliver something that many people will want. They can find a part of themselves (or a skill within themselves) that they can put out there for others to either appreciate, or not.

Some artists can even make the audience a part of the performance. (And no... I don't mean sing-a-long for a chorus, but yes - that counts superficially.) Stage magicians and the like do this all the time with varying degrees of involvement/success. Street performers do a lot of this as well. Stand up comics are a great example. We often expect heckling there, and the comics are expected to respond.

But the degree to which the artist involves the audience is up to the artist (stand up comics are a notable exception - heckling). In the broadest sense, this is measured by how broadly the artist appeals to people - how large their audience is. (Throwing rotten vegetables at a vaudeville show might qualify though... :) )

e.g. Satanic death metal appeals to a relatively small audience, while techno-pop has a much broader appeal and larger audience. But the techno-pop audience has no real influence on Satanic death metal artists, and vice versa.

Edvard:
e.g. Satanic death metal appeals to a relatively small audience, while techno-pop has a much broader appeal and larger audience. But the techno-pop audience has no real influence on Satanic death metal artists, and vice versa.
-Renegade (August 08, 2014, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... you haven't been listening to any Satanic Death Metal lately, have you?  "Bass drops" and "Dubstep Breakdowns" are getting to be the norm in those circles.  I'm not kidding.   :(

Renegade:
-Renegade (August 08, 2014, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... you haven't been listening to any Satanic Death Metal lately, have you?  "Bass drops" and "Dubstep Breakdowns" are getting to be the norm in those circles.  I'm not kidding.   :(
-Edvard (August 09, 2014, 12:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha! :D

Ok, Old skool Satanic death metal then? :D

And yes - I've been out of touch with modern Satanic death metal lately. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version