ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thinking of switching to WP8 from Android

<< < (2/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I've got a Lumia 928, and absolutely no interest in looking at anything else. It does what I want it to do, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not interested in tinkering around with the phone...or any phone for that matter. It needs to just work and this does.

The appeal of jail breaking a devise just doesn't work for me, as the last thing I need is yet another time vampire "hobby". I'm not a gamer, and I have no interest in having a 'App' for everything under the sun that forces me to have to drill down through a list if software bits to find the widget that will tell me what I probably should just know. My fingers are tired more often than not these days...so I'd rather just used my brain instead.

My brother has an iPhone that he can't wait to get rid of because he's tired of me looking at him with wide-eyed wondrous sarcasm as I ask: Why isn't it Just Working?!? ...every time it screws up and/or crashes on him.

tomos:
I've got a Lumia 928, and absolutely no interest in looking at anything else. It does what I want it to do, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not interested in tinkering around with the phone...or any phone for that matter. It needs to just work and this does.
-Stoic Joker (July 30, 2014, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I got a Lumia 730 lately (I think 735 is more common in the US -- the 730 is dual sim).
I'm a very basic user:
phoning, text, email (gmail), taking the odd picture, checking the weather, occasionally following a link from an email, Whatsapp/Viber.

It's a lovely phone -- yes, I really like the OS :) -- with a great camera. I'm not familiar with any high-end phones' cameras, so cant compare. This one has lowish resolution by today's standards (6.7MP), but got very good reviews and didnt break the bank (~170US$ at time of purchase). I suspect the lower resolution helped it's low light performance.

Most initial quirks disappeared after updating everything :up:

My remaining annoyances are:

* Microsoft's idea of backup is Cloud, full-stop. I have to admit I havent even connected the thing to a computer yet, but why not allow me to back up contacts, messages, and images to the SD card? I suspect there are ways around this (there is no file manager offered) but it neither obvious nor easy, and it's way down my ToDo list.
* For gmail it insisted on getting my main gmail password, i.e. it wont use an application specific password. The (translated) 'login once for all google products' quickly falls flat on it's face: I need to give in my password again to see replies to comments on YouTube. (I didnt bother.)
* The clock suddenly jumped backwards today -- this may be a problem with my network, I dont know. Weird though, reminds me of wind-up watches... not what smartphones are supposed to do...

Shades:
-Stoic Joker (July 30, 2014, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I got a Lumia 730 lately (I think 735 is more common in the US -- the 730 is dual sim).
I'm a very basic user:
phoning, text, email (gmail), taking the odd picture, checking the weather, occasionally following a link from an email, Whatsapp/Viber.

It's a lovely phone -- yes, I really like the OS :) -- with a great camera. I'm not familiar with any high-end phones' cameras, so cant compare. This one has lowish resolution by today's standards (6.7MP), but got very good reviews and didnt break the bank (~170US$ at time of purchase). I suspect the lower resolution helped it's low light performance.

Most initial quirks disappeared after updating everything :up:

My remaining annoyances are:

* Microsoft's idea of backup is Cloud, full-stop. I have to admit I havent even connected the thing to a computer yet, but why not allow me to back up contacts, messages, and images to the SD card? I suspect there are ways around this (there is no file manager offered) but it neither obvious nor easy, and it's way down my ToDo list.
* For gmail it insisted on getting my main gmail password, i.e. it wont use an application specific password. The (translated) 'login once for all google products' quickly falls flat on it's face: I need to give in my password again to see replies to comments on YouTube. (I didnt bother.)
* The clock suddenly jumped backwards today -- this may be a problem with my network, I dont know. Weird though, reminds me of wind-up watches... not what smartphones are supposed to do...-tomos (January 28, 2016, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

On my old Lumia 520, it is not a problem to make a backup to an SD card. In my 'System Settings' there is an option called 'Contacts and Messages backup'. This allows me to backup to SD card. You have a much better model than I do, so I kinda expect your phone to have this feature too. My WP is 8.1 and my usage pattern matches yours almost completely.

4wd:
On my old Lumia 520, it is not a problem to make a backup to an SD card. In my 'System Settings' there is an option called 'Contacts and Messages backup'.-Shades (January 28, 2016, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

On the 530 there is only: backup - save stuff to the cloud

Shades:
The 'Backup' option is also available on my phone, but when scroll down (a lot) the other backup option appeared. To my knowledge I didn't download any app that might have added this option. The only thing I do is updating existing apps and tools that already came with the phone. It is part of the ms provided tools, but I didn't find version number info of any kind. The phone runs on Lumia Cyan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version