ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

*NIX: Pipelight has a new website - plus new version available

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tuxman:
My point would be that my initial point that "*NIX" is a lie here still persists.

40hz:
My point would be that my initial point that "*NIX" is a lie here still persists.
-Tuxman (July 29, 2014, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

"Lie" is a very strong word. In English at least.

And not really accurate - or even relevant - in this context.

In English at least. ;)

Tuxman:
So, given that you really want to keep a misleading thread title, let me get into the contents then:

How is it "good news" that a Windows binary (Pipelight) which can access Windows plug-ins can run on Wine "now"?

40hz:
So, given that you really want to keep a misleading thread title, let me get into the contents then:

How is it "good news" that a Windows binary (Pipelight) which can access Windows plug-ins can run on Wine "now"?
-Tuxman (July 29, 2014, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you might possibly lack sufficient familiarity with colloquial American-English usage and vocabulary such that I suspect you tend to misinterpret - and sometimes read far more into what is being said - than what is actually being said. As a result you can occasionally come across as being rather hostile and pedantic. Which I'd like to think is not your actual intent.

About the best I can suggest is to keep in mind that American-English is a very fluid and flexible language. It does not have, nor seek to duplicate, the level of grammatical precision some languages employ. It is also very context sensitive - which is a fancy way of saying grammatical rules (and sometimes actual words) are themselves less important than understanding the context in which something is being said. That's a tricky thing to manage. And it does lead to some major misunderstandings from time to time - even among native speakers. But that's the way the language works here.

So if you don't mind, I'll leave my OP as is. I doubt it's a causing concern or confusion to many (if any) of the other readers. And while I now understand what you're saying (and thanks for elaborating) and I can now see the point you're trying to make, in the context of the post itself, it's somewhat hair-splitting and slightly OT.

Of course, that may depend on how you interpret the title of this discussion board. You seem to be taking it to mean a place to discuss native-coded non-Windows software. The rest of us see it as a place to discuss software that does not require Windows be the OS in order to run it. As Mouser put in the keystone post:

I thought we might try adding a new section of the forum specifically for discussion of non-Windows software (and hardware), so here it is!

I know we have lots of people on DC that love linux, embedded hardware like Raspberry Pi, mac, android and ios, and it's probably time we had a special section for such discussions.  It would also be a good place to discuss cross-platform software, and may also be a good place to discuss non-windows related hardware.

Don't be shy about posting here -- it may take a little while for this section to reach critical mass.
--- End quote ---

I hope this helps you better understand where I'm coming from, and why I don't feel the need to either change the original post or drop *NIX from its title.

If that's not acceptable to you, then I'm afraid we'll just have to "agree to disagree" on this point, since this side-discussion can only start going in circles if it continues much longer.

Cheers! :Thmbsup:

Tuxman:
I think you might possibly lack sufficient familiarity with colloquial American-English usage and vocabulary such that you tend to misinterpret-40hz (July 29, 2014, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

My familiarity with the slang of American-English native speakers reduces to discussions on mailing lists and online boards. Probably this is a good excuse.

and occasionally read far more into what is being said-40hz (July 29, 2014, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Being pedantic is mostly intended, not restricted to certain languages. Of course it's not my intention to actively discourage you to tell us about software though. :)

I doubt it's a causing concern or confusion to many (if any) of the other readers. And while I now understand what you're saying (with thanks for elaborating) and can now see the point you're trying to make, in the context of the post itself, it's somewhat hair-splitting and slightly OT.-40hz (July 29, 2014, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, probably, yes. I wasn't talking about the board but about the thread title in the first place. When it comes to software compatibility, being precise would even help here: Given that Pipelight is "Wine software" instead of "*NIX software", it's rather likely that it will even run on OpenBSD and other platforms which aren't actively announced on its website.
I might give it a try later.

I hope this helps you better understand where I'm coming from, and why I don't feel the need to either change the original post or drop *NIX from its title.-40hz (July 29, 2014, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. My pedantry might sometimes be misinterpreted as trolling or flaming, but in this very case it wasn't meant to. Thanks for listening. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version