ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seagate starts shipping 8TB hard drives, with 10TB and HAMR on the horizon

(1/3) > >>

Cuffy:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186624-seagate-starts-shipping-8tb-hard-drives-with-10tb-and-hamr-on-the-horizon?

At last.....
Wait up people! Don't jump and order an 8tb drive as soon as Newegg lists it on the front page.
I read someplace on the internet that (and if it's on the internet it must be true) most of our current machines using BIOS and MBR will not boot to a drive over 2tb.

Going to have to get familiar with GPT and UEFI on 64 bit machines before you put your memnoirs on a drive large enough to hold them. :D

Cuffy:
http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

Chris Hoffman at How-to-Geek is coming out with some answers on this topic.
Chris is a good head (except he's the guy using "lazyload"... not so good)
and I'm sure everything you need to know will come out of HTG as the technology progresses. :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
This is rapidly becoming more tech than most people need, and now it's becoming things like ugly "end of life" policies that are becoming the limiting factor.

Not counting slight hardware age concerns, I completely nailed my forward-looking project machine from 2006, and haven't seen any real use need to upgrade except a couple of obscure one-day experiments.

My system has twin 1-TB drives and I barely have touched the second one.

Cuffy:
"Build it and they will come"
We can't wait for new toys and the sad part.....
we're probably throwing away more store space than we're using!
Look at the numbers of drives returned to manufacturers that are perfectly good. Bad format? whatever, and they go back.

When DBAN hit the street several years ago and appraised of the rate of returns on good drives, I started a little experiment.
I loaded DBAN on an old test machine and scrambled around here rounding up "pulled" drives. I found 21 drives, not including a couple of old MFM drives which I didn't clean, ratholed under the bench, in the bookshelf, out in the garage, etc., and "wiped" all 21. Of that 21, 19 were still serviceable. I posted my results and other guys had experienced the same results. I'm sweating a drive being almost full and I've got stacks of storage space.!

Technology bites again though, because the older drives are all IDE and motherboards with IDE headers are scarce.
Woe is me...... nobody loves me.... and my hands are cold.........
will my troubles never end?
 :D YMMV

Deozaan:
I have a 128GB (or so) SSD for my OS drive and a 2TB drive for everything else. I keep pretty much everything and have never really felt the need for more space like I did in the old days of having a 256MB drive with DOS/Windows 3.11 (or was it 95?).

One time I saw in My Computer the color of the free space was red and I "only" had 30GB left, so I uninstalled a bunch of games from my Steam library that I haven't played in forever and now I'm sitting pretty again at about 700GB free with lots more I could delete to make room if I needed to. I think 2TB will suit me fine for quite some time.

Then again, I'm not into photography so I don't have a bunch of RAW images to store. And I don't rip/download movies for watching/streaming to my TV, so I guess people who do those things would probably appreciate the 8TB and 10TB drives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version