ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Diamond Editor, multi-platform successor to Crimson Editor

<< < (3/5) > >>

mwb1100:
Interested because I can't find one damn editor on Linux that will do what Notepad++ or TextPad will do.
-Edvard (July 29, 2014, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't used it, but someone I work with uses UltraEdit for Linux (UEx) and seems to like it.  My understanding is that now an UltraEdit license allows you to use it for Windows, Mac or Linux, so if you already have an UltraEdit license, you can use UEx (maybe after paying for an upgrade).

xtabber:
According to the developer, the 32 bit version of EditPad Pro runs quite well on Linux under WINE.  Details here.

MilesAhead:
The thing with Vim is that it requires you are willing to spend the time and effort to learn to work entirely differently than you are used to.
-Jibz (July 30, 2014, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

The learning curve is what puts people off.  I used vi just enough to start doing repetitive tasks programmatically.  But it requires a commitment to keep your head into it.  I'm sure now there are many more Windows style editors for use in Linux.  It's easier to dodge learning vi or emacs or whatever.  :)

Tuxman:
Good luck using a Windows style editor when your X won't start and you'll have to fix config files on the terminal when you never dug into vi/Vim or similar editors.

MilesAhead:
Good luck using a Windows style editor when your X won't start and you'll have to fix config files on the terminal when you never dug into vi/Vim or similar editors.
-Tuxman (July 31, 2014, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree.  Sometimes those little x applets that configure stuff don't work.  Even if x runs it's good if you can remember how to fix the startup scripts under /etc with a console editor.  I bet many newer Linux users just reinstall when it gets hosed.  If you mention a directory named /etc or the fstab file they give you a vacant stare.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version